Cloning whole hard drive to one partition on external

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '06 Macbook, 4gb RAM, OS X 10.8.3 Hacked onto, running smooth as any mac !
I have a 500 gb internal hard drive that I want to entirely clone to one partition on an external. Programs I have tried to use would wipe my whole external and make one partition, but I need two partitions on the terabyte external... how would I do this ? Manually copying would not work

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Hi,

1) You can partition your hard drive with GParted LiveCD.

2) Then, use Linux the dd command from a linux LiveCD, or ddrescue with a logfile and the as it is more resistant to errors. For ddrecue, you'll need to use the --force option as you want to clone your whole drive.

For 1) and 2), you'll need to boot your Mac from the LiveCD.

ddrescue is available on the systemRescueCD compact disc.

As for dd, you can for instance run it from within the console that you find on GParted's CD.
To run dd, don't forget to switch to "root" (Administrator) user before with sudo -i.

You can send me a private message if you need more help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^^ Too much like work.

SuperDuper! works great and does incremental backups. Worth the $$.
The free/trial version won't do incremental backups.
I have bootable backups of 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8 all on separate partitions of a single hard drive and keeping incremental backups of each OS.
You don't even have to boot to something else, as it makes the backups while you continue using your machine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '06 Macbook, 4gb RAM, OS X 10.8.3 Hacked onto, running smooth as any mac !
^^^^ Too much like work.

SuperDuper! works great and does incremental backups. Worth the $$.
The free/trial version won't do incremental backups.
I have bootable backups of 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8 all on separate partitions of a single hard drive and keeping incremental backups of each OS.
You don't even have to boot to something else, as it makes the backups while you continue using your machine.

Yea, I stopped reading that halfway through.

Here is what I need to do:

Clone internal hard drive ( in a windows computer ) over to a partition on my macbook, which I can pull the hard drive out of the macbook and make it an external, but my Mac OS X Virtual Machine isn't working, so does anyone know how I might be able to do this on windows ? I tried Acronis True Image, but that can only clone drive-to-drive, not drive-to-partition ): I tried using a hackintosh via disk utility, but that also will not let me copy from drive to partition. Help would be GREATLY appreciated ! Manually copying does not work for me as I need to make this drive bootable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.