can't find drive

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 loaded on its own hard drive ans I have an LG blu-ray burner installed as a second optical drive.
I works in the osx system, but will not show up in Windows. I try to install the firmware and it say no atapi drive found.
Any solutions?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you mean that you have Windows 7 dual booting with OS X by using Boot Camp on your Mac's hard drive? If that's true, you will need a Windows 7 driver for the Blue Ray LG burner. That should have been installed when you installed the Windows 7 drivers that you downloaded from Apple. You did follow the boot camp instructions and download the drivers from Apple, right?

OP
J
Reaction score
sorry, yes it is a dual boot.
The Windows support software wouldn't download.
I waited 3 hours and it and the progress bar was still stuck in the middle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Then you need to run the Bootcamp assistant again and try the download again. Once done you can cancel the assistant.

OP
J
Reaction score
I went to the Apple support site for Bootcamp and d/l and installed drivers, but I keep getting the message when I try to install the LG burner firmware that a valid atapi device can't be found.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I wouldn't even consider updating a drives firmware before you have it detected correctly.

1. Exactly which drive do you have?
2. Once connected by USB can you see it in device manager?

OP
J
Reaction score
It's an internal LG WH14NS40 blu-ray burner and it doesn't show up in the device manager.

OP
J
Reaction score
trying to d/l s/w again and get this: The Windows support software could not be saved to the selected folder.
Tried different usb sticks and its still the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hang on I thought you'd installed those drivers?
I went to the Apple support site for Bootcamp and d/l and installed drivers

And how is the internal drive connected? Which Mac do you have? How was the drive installed?

The more information you can give about the full picture the easier it'll be to find a solution for you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What model Mac do you own? This IS an Apple Macintosh computer correct? Not a PC with OSX?

Also what version of OSX is installed?

OP
J
Reaction score
I have an early 2008 Mac Pro.
The blu-ray drive is installed in the second bay (lower) and connected to the ribbon cable that also feeds the SuperDrive. It powers off oneof the2 sata power connectors on the motherboard.
I did install all the drivers from Apple's Bootcamp help page.
I have the latest update of Lion installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't get power from the motherboard.
As an experiment please disconnect the SuperDrive and connect the bluray using the cables that the SuperDrive was using.

Can you also post a link to the drivers you downloaded.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry, but it does get power from the motherboard.
The drive is a sata drive and the Superdrive is ide.
Both drives work fine in osx environment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, sorry that's the data cable.

The power is a flat black connector about 1", the data cable about half that.

Do you have the driver link?

Even though they work ok in osx that doesn't mean they will in windows. It's either missing motherboard drivers or a hardware clash, hence the suggestion to disconnect the SuperDrive. That eliminates the hardware clash issue

OP
J
Reaction score
I removed the Superdrive.
Tried installing LG firmware and the error message is that the Atapi device is not there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can't install firmware without a recognised drive. There's no need to even think about firmware updates or any other software at this point.

Can you post a link to the Bootcamp drivers you installed?

edit: i think we can now rule out a hardware clash. So it has to be the Windows drivers. Windows 7 will detect the drive without any further software or firmware update providing the USB driver/motherboard driver is correctly installed. So it's vital we identify the Support Package you downloaded. For your Mac Pro I think it's version 4.0.4.4033 you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please see my previous post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.