Where are my documents?

Reaction score
I use Word 2011. I have several documents with the same name, since I've updated it and downloaded versions to my computer from email. When I want to open it, I search and it shows and I click on it.
I've renamed the latest one and it's on my desktop.
The others show up in the search. BUT, how do I found out where they are located on the computer? I want to go and delete all the other versions.
When I went to save one of the versions to see where it was saved, the folder was just labelled "1." I don't know how to find it to delete it.
I know this is simple stuff, but it's evading me.

Thanks

Drewber

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, Word 2011 will not allow you to overwrite a document with either a different name or change from *.doc to *.docx without a warning. So it's likely then that both documents exist in your Documents folder. Check your Documents folder to see if there are sub folders or a single sub folder that may have been created.

Word will default to using this path when creating and saving documents:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Documents/

If you still can't find them, use your Spotlight search to look for them by name.

OP
D
Reaction score
Is that a Liberator?
Okay, none of them are in the documents folder. That's part of the frustration. I only find them by the spotlight search. When I spotlight search, the only one that lets me know the location, is the one on the desktop. I can open the others. I just want to find them and delete them.

Does that make sense?
Thanks

Drewber

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it makes sense. Let's try this.... Download and install the free "Find Any File" application from here. Use it to locate the missing Word files. Spotlight does not always do well when it comes to finding things that are buried in sub folders or hidden.

(The aircraft is a Douglas B-26D Invader.)

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks. I will try that.

I've never heard of a B 26. I thought I knew my aircraft. My dad is a WW2, Berlin Airlift and Korean War Naval Aviator. I've always loved aviation things. Unfortunately, due to eyesight, I couldn't fly, so I became a Ground-Pounder Dentist.

Dad flew all sorts of planes, as you can imagine. That plane, at least from the thumbnail, looks a bit like a Liberator to me. If you haven't read Unbroken, it is an awesome, yet upsetting book about some Army Liberator pilots and crew and their horrible time in the hands of the Japanese.
Take care,

Drewber

OP
D
Reaction score
That worked extremely well! I was able to locate them all. by clicking on each, I could see what crazy bread crumb trail they were down, and was able to delete from the open dialogue box!!!

Thanks!! Great suggestion.

Drewber

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.