Ram Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4, 1.33ghz 1gb RAM 40 GB HD. iPod 20gb 4Gen
I recently purchased a iBook 12inch G4 and upgraded the memory to 1GB (512 internally and 512 card that I purchased). I have noticed that it is not as fast as it used to be. Also, when I start up my computer and I go to check the system diagnostic and it gives me this:

Power On Self-Test:

Last Run: 1/30/06 9:03 AM
Result: Failed
Failure type: Memory
Memory slot: DIMM1/J7

Any ideas why this is happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
sound like a badd memory chip, the memory isnt seated, incorrect type of memory, or the socket is bad. i would open it back up and see if the chip is seated correctly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
Make sure that when your RAM is in there that you don't see any gold (maybe a tad bit). You really have to jam that sucker in there. Try setting it into one side first. When it won't go in any further, do the other corner. Hopefully that will work.

If it's in place and it's still in there, see about getting new RAM. By the way, what type of RAM did you buy? Was it PC2100 or PC2700?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4, 1.33ghz 1gb RAM 40 GB HD. iPod 20gb 4Gen
PC2700U

Under System Profiler-Memory, the status is Ok for both the built in and added memory. Is it really necessasary for the Diagnostic to run? By the way, the memory is snapped ina ll of the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.