Question about "Shared" in Finder

Reaction score
Briefly:

Just upgraded to latest version of Mountain Lion 10.8.3.

Under the "Shared" heading in Finder............noticed that the following was listed beside a small Icon for a computer:

hpac162d32ff7d

Clicked on it........"Connected as Guest" is indicated [meaning this server] with a "Connect As...." option button below.

Selecting this I am requested to enter my name and password for the server "hpac162d32ff7d".....as a Guest or Registered User......my Username is already entered.....Password blank.

Question: Does this have something to do with iCloud or another Mountain Lion feature or..........is this some hacker computer?

Please advise.

Thank you.
D/D Chicago

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is your wireless network secure and are there any other wireless devices active in your house

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank you for responding.........

Yes, network is secure as indicated by Airport.

Only other device is another family member's iPad........not active at this time.

It just occurred to me that I have a wireless HP Printer which would relate to the "hpac.......portion of the so-called "server" ID.

D/D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Sounds like it is the HP printer, some printers have a tiny web server to access configuration pages

OP
O
Reaction score
Problem Solved

Thanks again ..........

I am not a complete tech novice but if I had been in the meeting where they all agreed to identify this guest device as anything other than "Your Wireless Printer" I might have spoke up.

Best regards,

D/D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.