Speakers for my iMac

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a nice set of powered speakers for my new iMac desktop. I would like to be wireless with these. All i have right now besides the built-ins are a set of battery powered ones that came with an old PC i had several years ago. I'm looking in the $100 to $200 range. Thanks.

Reaction score
Honestly, I would not reccommend wireless speakers. The sound quality is just not up to par with that of wired speakers. Plus, wireless speakers will be much more expensive than wired ones. If you are looking for sound quality and wireless, I would guess that you will spend more than $200.

I own a Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia GMX, and I've been extremely happy with them. I bought them for $150 about 2 years ago at the Apple store, but I don't think they sell them anymore. I've been thinking about upgrading to the JBL Encounter 2.1 speakers, which also retail for $150 at the Apple store. They match the white asthetic appeal of the iMac better than the Klipschs, but both provide excellent sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Reaction score
hey which speakers are better the JBL Encounter 2.1 or the JBL Creature 2's? Another question has anyone tried the Bose Companion 3 speakers, I know they cost over double the above two but is the sounds quality that much better?

Reaction score
i've tried the bose speakers at best buy and they sound pretty good. I don't know if this a bad thing but I work on bose home systems and i have gotten a few calls regarding repair on these speakers. But i would go for those bose speakers.

tk26 said:
hey which speakers are better the JBL Encounter 2.1 or the JBL Creature 2's? Another question has anyone tried the Bose Companion 3 speakers, I know they cost over double the above two but is the sounds quality that much better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
If you're looking for straight up sound quality and nothing else, Klipsch used to make a set of THX certified 4.1 speakers that were amazing, and not very expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tk26 said:
The encounter 2 speakers sound a lot better.
The Bose do sound better than all of these, but aren't worth it IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I would recommend the harman/kardon Soundsticks II...
They sound much better than the JBLs (both Encounter and Creature).

Or Klipsch, they sound even a bit better, for a similar price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hehe, once again I disagree Avalon...
The Soundsticks sound great, no doubt about it. But when I compare the two, the soundsticks sound detailed, but a little bit bright. The encounter 2.1 sound just as detailed, but have a warmer mid range than the soundsticks.
But these are really subtle differences, and maybe it's just me :)
Both kick the creatures **** though.

Reaction score
well thanks im not sure if im going to pay extra for the bose but i might look at the soundsticks or encounture. It's too bad that the creature 2's suck because personallly i think the look the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They don't really suck, but once you've heard the others you can hear a clear improvement in sound quality...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Aptmunich said:
Hehe, once again I disagree Avalon...

Well, the perception of sound is highly subjective, isn't it? :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.