2012 iMac Strange Sound Output

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2012 iMac To replace my 2007 model. The new machine has a 3.1 i7 processor. I made this purchase so I could improve the video and audio quality of instructional videos I create with iMovie. I was impressed with the video quality of the new onboard camera but I'm having horrible issues with the sound! Whether I use iMovie or GarageBand, anytime I try to record vocal and acoustic guitar or vocal and electric guitar with either the internal mic or an external mic, the results are awful. The recording sounds as if it's been processed through a flanger. As a result, I returned my iMac for a replacement as the techs at Apple could not help me solve the issue. Today I received the replacement only to find That the results were exactly the same. I have been asked to submit sound samples to the high level technicians at Apple. The sound output when using iTunes is just fine. The problem only occurs when I record. I love my new iMac but the sound issues are stopping me from doing my work. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to correct this sound problem. I have heard that possibly using a USB preamp would help me bypass the sound processor in the Mac. Is this possible? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have heard that possibly using a USB preamp would help me bypass the sound processor in the Mac. Is this possible? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

A pre-amp is not going to provide a bypass to the sound processor circuitry in your iMac. What it will do is boost the low level input signal so that it will not need the same amount of amplification required when going through the iMac. The pre-amp will also level out and better match the input impedance of your iMac. I would give it a try to see if the results are what you're expecting.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks ..... I will try to trace the source of the usb preamp suggestion to see if there are any other details. Since this sound problem! has appeared on both Macs .... I'm just surprised that no one else has contacted Apple with this issue

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To be honest, I don't believe it's an Apple problem. I've personally found over the years that high quality recordings (audio) are not something you really want to do with a computer, not even with one as good as an iMac (I also own one). The iMac and Macs in general excel with video but sound is a different matter. That's just my opinion based on my own personal experience though.

OP
M
Reaction score
This particular issue is unique to this generation of iMacs. Trust me .... I produced over 200 music videos on my 2007 iMac with no sound issues. If anything .. it was the iSight camera that was lacking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.