Wireless Adapter for old Dell Dimension E510?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
In the middle of replacing an old (6-7 yrs) Dell desktop (Dimension E510) w/ Windows XP (updated) w/ a new iMac - I'd like to keep this old computer and move into a back room w/ a HP scanner (to scan in slides & photos for family distribution). I'd want an internet connection but 'wireless' is the only option - I'm installing a new AirPort Extreme on the iMac, so should have an updated home wireless network - SO, question is what might be the best USB adapter to achieve this purpose? Thanks for comments & suggestions - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I bought a wireless "N" adapter for my Toshiba and a Dell we had at our office from RadioLabs. That was several years ago and at the time it was $69.95. I just checked the RadioLabs site and everything there is now over $100. However, I'm sure you should be able to find one less expensive than that. As long as it's for Windows, most of them should work plug and play and with the latest version of Windows.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought a wireless "N" adapter for my Toshiba and a Dell we had at our office from RadioLabs. That was several years ago and at the time it was $69.95. I just checked the RadioLabs site and everything there is now over $100. However, I'm sure you should be able to find one less expensive than that. As long as it's for Windows, most of them should work plug and play and with the latest version of Windows.

Thanks Chscag for the recommendation! I was searching online (Amazon and other electronics sites) this morning and the usual 'suspects' were relatively inexpensive (i.e. under $50) but the reviews (i.e. the 1* & 2*) were discouraging, so decided to spend more.

After some more searching, I found THIS THREAD w/ a bunch of posts recommending a USB product from UA (even made in the USA!) - a little clunky looking (hockey puck?), and not cheap, but I want one to really work well - made the buy (as least 'free shipping') - thanks again - Dave :)

UAWIFI_UA3_Rugged_USB_WiFi_Adapter_Antenna_802.11n.gif

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let us know how it works once you get it. And yes, it does look like something out of the NHL. :)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I wanted to post back after acquiring my UA Wi-Fi adapter (new pic below) - and yes, I call it the 'hockey puck' - setup was easy, i.e. downloaded the drivers/utility for Windows XP, re-booted, attached the adapter, added my network/passcode, and was up & going in 10 minutes or so - had a strong signal in the same room as my router - but the test was yet to come - moving the old Dell computer to a back bedroom? ;D

Today (Monday), moved the old system along w/ my 'hockey puck' to the location above - hook all up including my old printer; fired up the hardware and got a great Wi-Fi signal (a room, hallway, & walls away) in the new location - went to the Speedtest Net and clocked a 21 Mbps speed (same as I get on my MBP in the den, a room away from the router).

BOTTOM LINE - quite pleased w/ this purchase (not the cheapest), BUT one that I wanted to work - so far, would have to agree w/ previous reviews quoted in the link posted previously, which prompted my purchase - a recommendation - Dave :)

UAWIFI_UA3_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapter_Antenna_11.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.