Possible Screen/Graphics Card Failure?

Reaction score
I have a late-2007 MacBook Pro running OS 10.8.3. Recently the screen will occasionally dim & become pixelated. The problem seems to last for a minute or so & then correct itself. I have run Repair Disk Permissions, Repair Disk & the Apple Hardware Test. No problems were detected.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? Is this symptomatic of a display failure? Thank you for any suggestions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's more symptomatic of a graphics chipset failure, but yes it could also be the LCD. Attach an external monitor to your MBP and if the same symptom occurs, then you'll know for sure it's the graphics.

OP
K
Reaction score
It's more symptomatic of a graphics chipset failure, but yes it could also be the LCD. Attach an external monitor to your MBP and if the same symptom occurs, then you'll know for sure it's the graphics.

I failed to mention that I indeed have a secondary display connected to the MBP. When the problem occurred on the MBP screen, I dragged the open application to the secondary display where everything was fine.

That being said, it does seem that the LCD on the MBP might be failing. If so, is it reasonable to assume that the cost of the repair might not be cost-effective considering the of my MBP (7 years old)? I certainly can confirm this with a local Mac reseller.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That being said, it does seem that the LCD on the MBP might be failing. If so, is it reasonable to assume that the cost of the repair might not be cost-effective considering the of my MBP (7 years old)? I certainly can confirm this with a local Mac reseller.

If you're positive it's the LCD that's failing, you should be able to pick one up from a web reseller for a good price. Of course this assumes you can do the work yourself. Check around and see what you come up with. Folks that I know have purchased replacement LCD displays for their MBP for around $100 to $125. As far as the worth of your machine goes, it depends on condition but it should be $250 - $300 or so.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Considering the value of my time, replacing the LCD would likely come close to the current value of my MBP. This might be the excuse I need for a new machine. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.