HELP - MAC not storing my settings from day to day, ie: want my icons in LIST view

Reaction score
Every day when I turn on my MAC (at work), the settings from the previous day are gone. I prefer my files/folders to be in "list" view, but they are always in large icon view and scattered all over the window. Each day I have to change every folder I open to list view manually. How to I get my computer to remember my settings so that I don't have to change it each day? our "expert" computer guy here at work has no clue, just saying it should automatically remember it, but it won't. Other areas where the same type of thing is occuring: I use InDesign everyday and always want my documents in inches. However, it usually defaults back to picas so when i open a new doc each day, i have to go in and change the settings back to inches. Also, any folders I click on open up a window so large it runs from the top to off the bottom of my screen. i have to go to to Window>Zoom Window so it gets back on the screen where I can size it down. All these things, although minor, are just such a hassle to have to do every single day. any advice is very welcome!! I am by no means advanced on a MAC, so please break things down for me as best you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
have you already repaired permissions, by chance?

Reaction score
From my experience, as soon as you open a window, ie your hard drive from the desktop or the finder from the dock, you can resize/change view options, and it will remember it. Just make sure that you change those settings as soon as you open the window, not after you start clicking on icons and such.

A

antizero

How do you apply finder view settings so that they look the same in EVERY folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
when you open a finder window, hit apple + j and select your settings there.

A

antizero

fearlessfreap24 said:
when you open a finder window, hit apple + j and select your settings there.

That doesn't really answer my question, I want to know how to apply it to EVERY finder window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Finder Preferences > General > Open New Window In Column View

A

antizero

Is there a way to somehow mod finder so that you can have it open new windows in details view?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
antizero said:
Is there a way to somehow mod finder so that you can have it open new windows in details view?

Not sure - i usually just open a window and hit command+'1', '2', or '3' for whichever view I want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.