Speaker to Receiver Compatibility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
Last week you guys helped me to connect an old Aiwa stereo system to my Sony TV/Apple TV. It was just in the closet taking up room and it is now such an improvement in sound.

So there is one other thing in the closet that I would really like to use too. It is a set of Marantz HD 770 speakers. Big old tall things but they have both woofers/tweeters built in and sounded really great back when we used them. These Marantz speakers have an impetence of 8 ohms and the (original) speakers that I have now connected to the Aiwa (NSX999) are 6 ohms. Will the Marantz speakers work, will it overheat the Aiwa? I would hate to mess up what I have going now but hoping for a little better sound plus use my vintage speakers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They shouldn't overheat the Aiwa. An impedance of 8 Ohms will just give you a bit lower sound than that of 6 Ohms. Most stereo systems are able to drive speakers of from 4 to 16 Ohms without doing any damage. Just don't go lower than 4 Ohms.

OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
They shouldn't overheat the Aiwa. An impedance of 8 Ohms will just give you a bit lower sound than that of 6 Ohms. Most stereo systems are able to drive speakers of from 4 to 16 Ohms without doing any damage. Just don't go lower than 4 Ohms.

Thank you for the quick response. And by lower sound, is that a good thing, like more bass sound from having built in woofers? I'm not looking for professional sound out of this old equipment, just the best sound out of what I have laying around.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Those Marantz should blow away the sound of the Aiwas. Would guess they're also more efficient than the Aiwa speakers which would provide more sound at lower volume settings. They should improve at least your action movie watching experience a good bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.