• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

GoPro 1080p video laggy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
I am using a Powermac G5 quad 2.5 with 8gb of ram and the nvidia Quadro FX 4500 video card that they came with and when playing back my gopro videos in 1080p on quicktime they are incredibly laggy. My 13" Macbook Pro with the 2.9GHz i7 and 8GB of ram plays these flawlessly. I thought that the Powrmacs were supposed to be awesome with video. Is there a reason why it so laggy?

C

chas_m

A PowerMac G5 is nearly 10 years old. So I think that's your basic problem, in addition to the fact that QT probably isn't using all four cores. Also, what drive is this footage on, maybe drive speed is playing a role there. There could be other factors like fragmentation etc at play there as well.

As you've seen, a machine made during this decade has a great deal less trouble with it, so I think ultimately that's your answer.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A PowerMac G5 is nearly 10 years old. So I think that's your basic problem, in addition to the fact that QT probably isn't using all four cores. Also, what drive is this footage on, maybe drive speed is playing a role there. There could be other factors like fragmentation etc at play there as well.

As you've seen, a machine made during this decade has a great deal less trouble with it, so I think ultimately that's your answer.

I know its old lol just thought it wouldnt do too bad with 1080p since 1080p came out around blu-ray time which was in 2006. Its on the hard drive. Yeah QT probably isnt using all four cores especially since the powermac is bottle necked at 10.5. I think that the problem is more software based than it is hardware simply because of the fact that this computer was only a year old around the time that I remember 1080p starting to become more prevelant and the QFX should be able to do it. Whatever I bought this thing mainly for Logic 8 which is does superbly so I am still very happy with it. Thanks for the input. :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
With a machine that old, would guess that it may also depend on the type and file size of the video you're playing. It's probably going to have issues with the typical B-R file size at 25-40 GB for 90-120 min video.

I'd probably try an experiment and move one of those to your internal drive and see if it experiences the same lag.
If you're using an external via USB 2, maybe even FW400, don't think that's going to work with a B-R file size.

I would believe that particular video card, hardware wise, shouldn't have any problems with any 1080p video.
That's one of the card the pros would have been using to create those videos back then.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With a machine that old, would guess that it may also depend on the type and file size of the video you're playing. It's probably going to have issues with the typical B-R file size at 25-40 GB for 90-120 min video.

I'd probably try an experiment and move one of those to your internal drive and see if it experiences the same lag.
If you're using an external via USB 2, maybe even FW400, don't think that's going to work with a B-R file size.

I would believe that particular video card, hardware wise, shouldn't have any problems with any 1080p video.
That's one of the card the pros would have been using to create those videos back then.

It is on the internal hard drive already unfortunately. But thats exactly what I was thinking that is what the pros would have been using back then which is why I dont see the reason for this issue lol. But I guess an old computer is an old computer, for $180 it was still worth it lol. Although the case did get damaged in shipping. It was perfect in the pictures.

C

chas_m

Another area you could look at is the bitrate of the video, maybe that's what it is choking on.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another area you could look at is the bitrate of the video, maybe that's what it is choking on.

Thats probably what it is. It plays 1080p video from an iPhone no problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.