• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Future of Computing

Reaction score
So if you read what experts say we are approaching the post-pc era. In this new time computer users will access their adobe, auto cad, office type products etc via the web. I can only assume that this will catch on because Google, Microsoft, Adobe etc will offer cheaper prices starting out and people will be able to spend less on their computer making the initial investment much lower. I do not have heavy computing needs, I do research and like to open many browser tabs and run multiple programs on two monitors. A little much for my mbp but not terrible. I am against the new computing age. I don't like the idea of having an underpowered chromebook style computer. I guess I'm old-fashioned, I want a badass computer and to own my own content. Anyone else with me? I wish for a new mac pro even though the need for it may be non-existent in two years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm still unconvinced. They've been claiming thin-client for years now ;)

Now, most people (content consumers) will be more than happy to work this way. I highly doubt that content generators will anytime soon. I know that I could not work with this type of environment, there's no way I could use a netbook.

Oh, and I highly doubt that total cost of ownership will be cheaper. It'll be higher in the long run, but you'll always have the latest version (Adobe already offers this as an option btw)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I get what you mean but the current trend has been coming for a while. Oracle's Larry Ellison has been mentioning this as a coming trend forbears. Oracle's Larry Ellison talks about the future of tech and Silicon Valley - WSJ.com

IN some ways users with light computing needs are just the kinds of folks the cloud computing ides is geared toward. They atr primarily doing web surfing (whether for pleasure or research) and e-mail. The idea is that not only could you be highly mobile but you don't have to worry about where / how to access your documents. Your provider's software could handle that.

There are of course numerous problems. Including but not limited to the following:
1. In that model without connectivity you get little or nothing done because few files are stored locally.
2. One proposed bonus is that you would not have to actually own packages such as Photoshop which are expensive to purchase/upgrade. The problem is you are at the mercy of when the provider wants to upgrade.
3. I suspect savings in software costs would be eaten up through the cost of the ever escalating need for bandwidth.
4. Dinosaurs such as myself who just can't shake the need to have files locally.

Apparently I am channeling Dys today. Got to be more concise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.