MacBook Charger

Reaction score
Hi, my MacBook charger just broke for the second time. Got so hot this time I couldn't touch it! I'm in the UK and was just wondering where the best place to get one from is? I know I can go to Apple, but I've read very bad things about their new £65 one, and it has 1* reviews out of 5*.

Any recommendations?

60W_Power_Adapter_Charger_MAC_MacBook_For_APPLE_MagSafe.jpg

That's the one I currently have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The best one is from Apple. You didn't mention which exact MacBook you have. Post back with that little tidbit so we can be sure you are getting the correct one and suggest alternatives. (EDIT: Also tell us what the wattage is on the charger you have that failed).

BTW... £65??? I checked the UK Amazon site and they run closer to £15.

OP
B
Reaction score
Anyone? Going into town shortly so wanted some opinions!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can only recommend sticking with an authentic Apple charger. The 60W version is correct for the white MacBook, but you "can" use the 85W version also without issue, from what I've read. The one you have in the photo still has the old style T-connector that was highly prone to breaking at the "neck" where it plugs into the MacBook. Those were updated to an L-connector a couple years ago. I recommend buying that style. Also be sure you aren't buying a refurbished adapter. I read over some more reviews on Amazon, and apparently the low-priced ones I referred to earlier may be refurbs according to some reviews, but the listings aren't clear on that.

The checkered history of Apple’s MagSafe connector

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mate. May get one from Apple for £65, what do you reckon? Amazon ones aren't genuine from I can see on some, even though they say they are! Is £65 overpriced, or are there cheaper ones elsewhere that are also genuine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply mate. May get one from Apple for £65, what do you reckon? Amazon ones aren't genuine from I can see on some, even though they say they are! Is £65 overpriced, or are there cheaper ones elsewhere that are also genuine?

It's uncommon to save much money on genuine Apple products. They maintain pretty tight controls on sale prices. Just save the receipt in case it dies before its warranty is up, and even if a bit after that.

Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I for have had more luck with T adapters, strangely, even though I hate the design.

OP
B
Reaction score
Got it in the end! Wish me luck guys.. My T shape one lasted since November 2008 so not too bad. I did fix it once though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.