Multiple iMacs on a Network Trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Cintiq 21ux, Pegasus R4, iPads, iPhones and iPods
I have an external drive connected to my iMac with all of our photos. This iMac acts as a server to my wife's iMac. I set up sharing privileges and she is able to connect and view the drive for the most part. Her iMac is not located where we can hardware the Internet connection so it is on wifi. I have all wireless and wired devices assigned specific IPs.

If her iMac loses the wireless connection and she reconnects it causes weird problems. Sometimes she can't reconnect to the "server" without a restart. Then, she can't move or change anything because "she doesn't have permission" even though she does. (She is connected as the correct user as well) So I have to go into the drive info and apply permissions AGAIN. I have to do this constantly even when nothing has been changed on the drive.

What can I do to stop having to apply the permissions, and also how could I get around having to do this every time I change something on the drive? It's really annoying that if she changes anything or I do, either way I have to reapply the permissions.

Thanks for the help.
- Will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Any chance you have interference - apartment building or neighbors with wifi?

can you please run this command in Terminal -
ls -alOe /Volumes

then show us the result.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.