Is there a FAQ list of MAC equivalents?

Reaction score
Right now I'm looking for the equivalent of Notepad, Just a very basic text editor for editing HTML.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
text edit is the basic editor on the mac

But bare bones software have text wrangler, which is a better code editor with coloured code syntax

Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler

Reaction score
How about TextEdit? Look in Applications folder.

louishen was faster than me. :)

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like text Wrangler would be perfect for my needs. I've already downloaded it but when I tried to install it, I get a message instructing me to drag the app to the "Applications Folder". I don't see an "Applications Folder" but I DO see "App Store" folder. Are they the same thing??? Or is there an Applications Folder hiding somewhere with the same icon as the App Store?

Thanks Again,
Judy

text edit is the basic editor on the mac

But bare bones software have text wrangler, which is a better code editor with coloured code syntax

Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Once you open the DMG file, on most, you will see the application icon as well as a folder right next to it called Application. If that isn't the case here, then open up Finder (the smiley face icon and the first one in your Dock) and on the left you will see the Applications folder. Now grab the icon from the window opened by the DMG and just drag it to the Application folder in Finder.

You've now installed the application..:)

To uninstall, you just drag the icon from the Applications folder to the Trashbin in the Dock.

The App Store is an application where you can find/buy apps for the Mac. Technically, TextWrangler is there as well, and installing it that way will put it in the right place for you..

M

MacInWin

Do you have the sidebar in Finder open? If so, there should be a listing "Applications" there. If the sidebar isn't there, open Finder Preferences and in the Sidebar tab, make sure Applications is checked.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you both! I have located the Applications folder and all is good. I don't quite have "Finder" figured out since it seems that sometimes it pulls up that list of Favorites and Devices and sometimes it does NOT.. Someday, I'll solve that mystery too.

Thanks for your help!
Judy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Don't forget that the last menu in every menu bar is usually Help, which you can click and type a question or topic in. I find OSX's Help database is much more useful than Windows'. Also, you can always click on the little magnifying glass icon near the top far right of the menu bar. This is Spotlight and will search your hard drive for whatever you type in with real-time results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.