• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

VHS Video to Mac

Reaction score
What is the best program to use to capture VHS video from the player onto my iMac?

Will iMovie do the job? When googling Video Glide seems to be the favourite in the search.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
iMovie will do the job but you'll need appropriate capture hardware either way

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You must have a piece of hardware known as a "video capture card" prior to any sort of software.

The most used piece of software is going to be ElGato's EyeTV3.

If you purchase a video capture card that is compatible with the version of OS X you are running, practically all of them will have the software you will need to capture video with the card and there would be no need to purchase yet another 3rd party software in order to use it. If it does not come with the software to enable you to use the hardware, then you should continue looking for a different piece of hardware.

OP
C
Reaction score
I had a capture device when I was using windows, I will have to check if compatible. If to I will get a new device. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
I have an Elgato Video Capture unit. Works great. I used it to transfer all my old VHS home-movie videos to digital storage on my Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.