Annoying Keychain Problems

Reaction score
I used Keychain for all my passwords and though it was great. There were a few glitches but I somehow could get by them. This problem I can't get by. Whenever Keychain prompts me for my password the usual pop up menu comes up and I can type my password in and access what I need to. Now when the Keychain pop up windows appear it's blank except for a picture of a key that is lock with a pair of keys in front of it, also there is space to type my password in, but it won't let me type in anything. The cursor appears in that space but just won't let my type and another thing the cancel and ok buttons are whited out. I click on cancel and leave keychain. I also noticed in Library/Keychain there is no folder for metadata keychain, but there is one for log in keychain.
Can someone help or explain this whacked out Keychain?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing to try is open your Keychain app from Utilities and click on the Keychain Access menu. From there, select "Keychain First Aid". Sometimes when too many items are inserted in the Keychain app, it becomes corrupted. I strongly recommend using a password manager application instead.

OP
D
Reaction score
I've done that and verified and even clicked on repair and everything is fine. I can't even update my software because it prompts me for my password in keychain and I can't enter my password. Is there anything else I could do? Do you think not having the metadata keychain files is the problem?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a recent backup made with Time Machine? If you do, you can try to restore the Keychain file from a backup when it was working right. Otherwise, if you have a list of all your passwords written down somewhere else, you can try completely removing the keychain file and starting over. See the following Apple Discussions Forum Thread: LINK.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks chscag. For some reason my Time Machine never worked, but I do have backups. If one doesn't work I'll try the other. Thanks again for your help.:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.