Macbook Pro 13' (Early 2011) fan problem.

Reaction score
When I play any game the fan rpm increases to 6200 and the temperature increases to 90-95 degrees. I don't want to hear the fan spinning every time I play a game, that's annoying. I don't think that's normal or is it? I had a pretty awful HP laptop, but I never heard the fan spinning like that. Any help would be really appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Any game?

Care to give us an example?

Any process that pushes the CPU and/or GPU will cause them to produce more heat and therefore require more cooling, hence the fans. That's perfectly normal.

The noise the fans make is down to whether they are clean, in good working order and the load they are under.

OP
S
Reaction score
Any game?

Care to give us an example?

Any process that pushes the CPU and/or GPU will cause them to produce more heat and therefore require more cooling, hence the fans. That's perfectly normal.

The noise the fans make is down to whether they are clean, in good working order and the load they are under.

Football Manager 2013 for example. It's CPU usage is not that high, around 20-25%. Still, the fans rpm increase to 6200 and temp 90-95!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to wait longer than 10 seconds before bumping a post..... Be patient.

Now to your problem. That does sound like it's a bit much. The fan shouldn't be ramping up that high with only a 20 to 25% increase in CPU. Of course you also have to consider what else is going on at the same time. If nothing else is pushing the CPU upward and it's just the Football Manager game that's active, there may be an accumulation of dust in the exhaust vents of the machine, or even a thermal sensor problem.

Your machine has only one fan which primarily cools the CPU and surrounding heat sink. What I suggest trying first is run the Apple Hardware Test to see if it flags anything. Also, make sure you're using your MBP on a flat surface that supports an air flow beneath it as well as on top.

Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I suggest tearing it down and cleaning it. [MAC EXPERTS ONLY]

If thats too hard, have someone else do it.

OP
S
Reaction score
You need to wait longer than 10 seconds before bumping a post..... Be patient.

Now to your problem. That does sound like it's a bit much. The fan shouldn't be ramping up that high with only a 20 to 25% increase in CPU. Of course you also have to consider what else is going on at the same time. If nothing else is pushing the CPU upward and it's just the Football Manager game that's active, there may be an accumulation of dust in the exhaust vents of the machine, or even a thermal sensor problem.

Your machine has only one fan which primarily cools the CPU and surrounding heat sink. What I suggest trying first is run the Apple Hardware Test to see if it flags anything. Also, make sure you're using your MBP on a flat surface that supports an air flow beneath it as well as on top.

I ran AHT, but didn't find any problems.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, the next step might be what member "Air" suggested. If you feel comfortable with getting into your MBP you can follow the take apart instructions at iFixit: The free repair manual. Otherwise setup an appointment and take a trip to your local Apple store and let them run some diagnostics. Find out first what they charge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.