Satellite System (VSAT) / Modem
DLink Switch
NAS
Network Printer
Users
Time Capsule
NAS
Other peripherals

I'm attempting to set up the Time Capsule to where one NAS and printer is between the Modem and Time Capsule to where the other users can access them. The other NAS is behind the Time Capsule.

With this configuration I want to be able to see / use both NAS and printer. I am behind the TC with the other NAS. I don't want the other users to see behind the TC. How should I set up the TC so I can see the NAS between Modem and TC without exposing the NAS / Peripherals behind the TC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm not sure what you mean by 'behind'? the sequence in which network devices are connected isn't relevant to how they work so I can't see how 'behind' fits in.

With that setup you need a router to control IP address allocations and to handle traffic. Does the satellite kit include a router?

If it does you need to set the TC to bridge mode (to disable the DHCP server) as it is (out-of-the-box) a router and you don't want two routers handing out IP addresses on one network.

If it doesn't have a router then I'd use the TC as the router. In which case the modem needs to be connected to the TC WAN port.

In either case all the other network devices can be connected in pretty much any sequence to the switch or directly to the router or TC

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not sure how you would accomplish that either unless you set up some type of password protected encryption on the NAS you don't want others to have access to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.