Free Space on Hard Drive ABOVE partition !!!!! help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '06 Macbook, 4gb RAM, OS X 10.8.3 Hacked onto, running smooth as any mac !
Okay, so I had one ML partition and I created a new one underneath it. I deleted the old partition, and now I have 752.43 GB of free space on my terabyte drive. Disk Utility will not let me expand my main partition up, only down... so I have 752 useless gigabytes of space.

I installed OS X on my external HD to boot from, and use iPartition to expand the partition to take up all the free space, but after hours of waiting, iPartition just stays waiting at an "Unmounting Disks" load screen with 0%.

Is my only choice to backup my partition to another drive, format my terabyte and re-install mac os x ? If so, Apple has a major flaw here. I thought OS X was supposed to be super simple? I shouldn't have this problem.

Any help would result in a good rating and would be greatly appreciated !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm not sure anyone's ever said the disk level operations of any OS are simple. The simplicity lies in the user not involving themselves in that and just using the machine, leaving the OS to manage everything.

That's not to say there are many reasons for doing it but as soon as you start manually intervening with file allocations, volumes, partitions etc you're introducing complexity. Unless you fully understand how that file system works, it's limitations and abilities it's easy to come unstuck.
Some third party tools, like iPartition, try to hide the complexity from the user but it can only account for so many scenarios. In your case there seems to be more underlying than what's in your post.

The bottom line is that no OS can, in a single pass, expand a partition 'up' or 'to-the-left'.

I've just written paragraphs of stuff about partition resizing, data movement and so on but then deleted them as I'm not sure my ramblings are already getting tiresome.

Suffice to say. The best solution, as you allude to, is to boot from an external source or the recovery partition, erase any other partition, create and format the new one and put a fresh copy of OSX on. Then transfer back from your backup.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Why are you creating new partitions to begin with? 99% of the time people do this to install Windows alongside OS X and for that there's Boot Camp. If you are partitioning it on your own using third-party tools, how exactly is this Apple's fault again?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why are you creating new partitions to begin with? 99% of the time people do this to install Windows alongside OS X and for that there's Boot Camp. If you are partitioning it on your own using third-party tools, how exactly is this Apple's fault again?

I made a second partition for personal purposes, and I had to resort to a third party app because Disk utility couldn't do the job... but luckily I figured it out and have one 999gb partition now. Problem solved... but in the future I'd appreciate if you'd help me rather than asking a lot of questions, thanks ! :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a bootcamp partition that I erased and used to clone my main parition to. Took 6 hours, but I fixed it ! Haha, I was mad at the moment of posting this, I realize nothing is simple, really. Lol.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I made a second partition for personal purposes, and I had to resort to a third party app because Disk utility couldn't do the job... but luckily I figured it out and have one 999gb partition now. Problem solved... but in the future I'd appreciate if you'd help me rather than asking a lot of questions, thanks ! :)

Glad you got it resolved, but part of answering anyone seeking help is to properly understand what they are doing and that's done with questions from basic to advanced depending on the situation..

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had to get rid of my BootCamp partition in the process, but that wasn't a big deal because I hardly had any data on it anyways. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.