• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple promises to show off new versions of both iOS and OS X at WWDC 2013

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
Everybody loves new software but how about new computers?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Apple keeps fairly well to their release cycles, so WWDC will probably also showcase the iPhone 5S, a new Macbook Pro and provide more details about the future of Mac Pro (which is one product line that's been lagging behind it's refresh cycle)..

Reaction score
I'm new to the Macbook, I have a Macbook Pro Retina, will they auto update the software, of is this a whole new OS I'll have to purchase?

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Usually you need to buy it, but it's pretty cheap. I think the last upgrade was $25.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"point releases" of the current OS, that is, Mountain Lion is 10.8 and the current point release is ".3", so upgrading from 10.8 to 10.8.1->10.8.2->10.8.3 were all free upgrades. However, upgrading to the next version of OS X 10.9 will be a paid upgrade.

Leopard (10.5) was an expensive upgrade, and Snow Leopard (10.6) dropped the price to $29, and Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8) dropped further to $19.99 and that seems to be the trend with OS X upgrades, so it might stay at that very affordable price.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome, thanks. Is most software compatible when they upgrade?

That depends..prior to Lion, you could use all applications either for Intel or PowerPC, but Lion dropped Rosetta support and with that all PowerPC apps stopped to work.

Once applications were made to work entirely on Intel-based Mac's only, the upgrade to Mountain Lion was an easier transition.

However, understand that all registered OS X developers get early access to new versions of OS X well before it is made available to the general public, so most app developers usually upgrade their software to support the newer versions of OS X by the time it's released so that way as people upgrade to newer versions of OS X, you also get updates to the application to make it all work..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Usually you need to buy it, but it's pretty cheap. I think the last upgrade was $25.

$19.95.

The Point updates are free. Just the Main new releases are pay but so cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Sometimes I think they have been speeding up the OS X release schedule so they can buzz through the last .7, .8 .9 as soon as possible and get to OS XI, or OS 11, or (lets be honest) "iOS for Mac". I am not looking forward to iOS for Mac or whatever their cloud-based, consumer focused, gadget optimized, Chrome-esque desktop replacement OS is going to be.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sometimes I think they have been speeding up the OS X release schedule so they can buzz through the last .7, .8 .9 as soon as possible and get to OS XI, or OS 11, or (lets be honest) "iOS for Mac". I am not looking forward to iOS for Mac or whatever their cloud-based, consumer focused, gadget optimized, Chrome-esque desktop replacement OS is going to be.

Well as long as the Desktop interface is better than Windows 8 on a Desktop, I will still use it! :D Grin

W8 is a great phone and tablet OS, but hate it on a desktop computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.