PowerMac G3 B&W RAM issues

B

Benreed

Hi guys, im a newbie to these forums but I couldn't solve my problem anywhere else!!

Here is my problem, I hav a G3 B&W Powermac and have recently purchased some new RAM for it and installed Tiger. It came with 256mb (Apple) RAM included, this i took out and put in 768mb of new RAM in bought from OEMPCWORLD.

I have noticed that both sets of RAM are not recognized in the system profiler, when you open the "About this Mac" window it recognizes it has the correct amount of RAM, but when you delve deeper and click on Memory within system profiler it tells me that it knows which slot has ram inserted but not how fast or what type of RAM it is, unlike my iBook G4 which does both.

This wouldnt be a problem but the G3 is constantly crashing, big crashes so that the mouse and keyboard become unresponsive and the only thing I can think of that may be causing it is the RAM.

Anybody ever experienced anything similar? if so i would be curious to know how you overcame it!

Cheers

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, the first thing I would try is to alternate the RAM sticks. Keep trying it with each stick seperately, including the original one. If you find a combo where the machine doesn't crash, then you would be able to deem one or all of the RAM sticks defective. If it makes no difference, then the RAM is likely not the issue.

OP
B

Benreed

D3v1L80Y said:
Well, the first thing I would try is to alternate the RAM sticks. Keep trying it with each stick seperately, including the original one. If you find a combo where the machine doesn't crash, then you would be able to deem one or all of the RAM sticks defective. If it makes no difference, then the RAM is likely not the issue.

Thanx for getting back to me, have been busy lately so havent had a chance to check this!!

I have taken each stick of RAM and booted with it seperatley, its seems that one of my RAM slots wont boot with anything in it. All the other slots workl and boot with each stick. I have now set it up as before but not using that slot, but the same thing is happening.

Any further suggestions?

Cheers, Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
Firstly...don't be a fool like me. I almost snapped last night when i installed 1GB of RAM in my DP 2.0 G5, and it was not recognized. I later figured out...i was too soft and did not push it in all the way.

"That's what she said!" - Family Guy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.