Streaming Alternatives to Apple TV ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
After months of trouble with Apple TV units (I have 2), I have made the decision to abandon Apple TV and iTunes.

I am about to start looking at a better system for streaming video to my TV's, anybody have any advice or recommendations? I will still be using OS X and iOS, but I seek alternatives to iTunes and Apple TV.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not a lot to go on there as far as which device has the video content, how it's to be streamed (wired or wireless), what inputs and outputs are required or what problems you've been having.

So here's one of the many, many solutions out there - RaspberryPI with RASPMC installed. The XBMC install on that can play pretty much any video file from pretty much any network or usb connected local source and squirt it onto your tv over HDMI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I would look at Roku.

However, what were your issues with the ATV? I have an ATV2 and an ATV3 both working flawlessly. I have my Mac Mini in my TV console with iTunes up and running all the time. No matter where I am, I have access to my whole library. I have even gotten my mostly Luddite parents on ATV and they love it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For streaming iTunes media, I've found nothing better than the ATV.

If you really want the best experience, then you need to build a Windows 7 media center PC directly connected to your A/V receiver capable of HDMI switching.

I've been connecting my computers to my TVs since the late 90s, and there is still nothing than competes with a direct connection if you want to be able to do anything that your computer can do.

While I still have a computer sitting in my entertainment center, for the most part I'm using streaming from satellite (which gives me HBO Go and other streaming services), ATV and Roku (actually, currently using a B-R player that provides all the services I need that the Roku duplicates).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.