Migration Assistant does not assist me, could you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '06 Macbook, 4gb RAM, OS X 10.8.3 Hacked onto, running smooth as any mac !
Hello all,

So today I have been trying to use the Migration Assistant to transfer all of my files from my PC over to my Mac. I connect the two using an ethernet cable, disable the Wi-Fi, and open Migration Assistant on both, select the right options, and neither computer is recognized or found by the other.

Here are the steps I select on my Mac, in their respective order.

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 6.10.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 6.10.53 PM.png

After that, it gets stuck here, I've waited a half hour on both systems and nothing.

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 6.10.57 PM.png

Here's what it does on my PC:

ma3.PNG

I am running OS X 10.8.3 on my Mac, and Windows 8 on my PC.

Am I doing something wrong ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you download and install the "Windows Migration Assistant" on your PC? You need to download the application from Apple and install it on your PC and then follow Apple's instructions as given with the application. The instructions will tell you how to setup the network and where everything will go on the Mac from the PC. Download LINK

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you download and install the "Windows Migration Assistant" on your PC? You need to download the application from Apple and install it on your PC and then follow Apple's instructions as given with the application. The instructions will tell you how to setup the network and where everything will go on the Mac from the PC. Download LINK

That is very useless, considering that there is a screenshot I posted showing the Windows Migration Assistant in Windows. I already downloaded it. I said I followed all instructions. the two computers will not find eachother

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Firewall on Network or on Windows 8? Windows 8 is pretty strange. I would try and help you but zapped windows 8 off my computers and am running 7.

How are they networked? Cable between them? If not a Hub, Switch or router what cable are you using?

Something is blocking something like a port that MA uses

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firewall on Network or on Windows 8? Windows 8 is pretty strange. I would try and help you but zapped windows 8 off my computers and am running 7.

How are they networked? Cable between them? If not a Hub, Switch or router what cable are you using?

Something is blocking something like a port that MA uses
I am trying to transfer from Windows 8 PC and another PC which is running 7, so I can do a fresh install on both... I have two 300 gb hard drives which are full on each PC, and a terabyte on my MAc which is practically empty. I have my Mac and PC connected via a cat 6 ethernet cable. I also tried connecting both computers to the same router, trying the Migration, and still, neither of the computers will recognize the other. I've also tried using my Windows 8 PC AND my Windows 7 PC, same deal. So I am thinking it is something to do with my Mac ? Windows Firewall is disabled, and so is the firewall on my Mac. All incoming connections are allowed

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
STrange issue indeed. Let me do some checking and will be back if I find your issue.

Can the PC and the Mac see each other in networking? In other words Network shares?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Explain what you mean by that ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That is very useless, considering that there is a screenshot I posted showing the Windows Migration Assistant in Windows. I already downloaded it. I said I followed all instructions. the two computers will not find eachother

How about calming down and cool it, OK? We're trying to help you and it does no good for you to get snappy. Your screen shot only showed the Mac dialogs and we have no way of knowing if you followed all the instructions. We're not sitting in front of your computer.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
STrange issue indeed. Let me do some checking and will be back if I find your issue.

Can the PC and the Mac see each other in networking? In other words Network shares?

If this is what you mean by that, then yes. my Mac recognizes both computers, Kristina being my sisters computer. Lol

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 8.06.22 PM.png

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about calming down and cool it, OK? We're trying to help you and it does no good for you to get snappy. Your screen shot only showed the Mac dialogs and we have no way of knowing if you followed all the instructions. We're not sitting in front of your computer.

There is a screenshot of the Windows Migration Assistant. Double check and you'll see it at the bottom, and I am not snappy at all, it looks as if you are the one with an attitude here?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a screenshot of the Windows Migration Assistant. Double check and you'll see it at the bottom, and I am not snappy at all, it looks as if you are the one with an attitude here?

Like I said above, cool it. You're the one who replied with "useless". The screen shot of the Windows Migration Assistant does not show up. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I'm through here. If dTravis7 can further assist you that's fine. Any more remarks to the contrary, the thread will be closed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was exactly what I meant by that. Network shares? If no shares were showing, you would have found your issue.

I have never used the MA over a network, only between two Macs via Firewire or USB. Many have though. Still checking to see if I can find what ports are being used in networking for MA.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was exactly what I meant by that. Network shares? If no shares were showing, you would have found your issue.

I have never used the MA over a network, only between two Macs via Firewire or USB. Many have though. Still checking to see if I can find what ports are being used in networking for MA.

It says that I can connect via ethernet, and the cable I'm using I know works because I normally use it as a hardline for my pc... the PC identifies the ethernet cable as LAN when it's connected to the mac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok keep us posted. So far found very little on migration computer not found issues between PC and Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same deal with the other computer, so It has to be my mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also tried calling apple, but the call keeps on dropping

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.