Dark Blotches on iMac Screen!?!? :(

Reaction score
I turned on my iMac after it had been having some issues and noticed these dark spots all over the screen. They seem to dissapear as the screen brightens and takes on color images and whatnot, but what the heck could they be?!

s12r0l.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which iMac do you have (year and model) and what version of OS X are you running? And is it still under warranty or Apple care?

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm using a Mid 2011 27-inch iMac running 10.8.2.

Not under warranty or Apple Care. :(

What can I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not much you can do without a warranty in effect except to take it on in to your local Apple store and have them look at to see what they say is causing it. It could be an LCD defect or a problem with the graphics.

Do you by chance have a spare monitor or maybe even a TV you can hook to the iMac to see what an external picture looks like? You would need an adapter and cable. That would tell you if it's the LCD or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
It's hard to clearly make out the defects in the photo.

I've seen 2 issues with the 27" LCD's, most common is contamination due the the ingress of dust. When bad it looks like a cloudy day. The other, not your problem, backlight issues causing the left side of the screen to be darker than the right. Both require LCD replacement to resolve. As already mentioned, the first thing to do is to attach another display to determine if it is an LCD or video problem. If you can't do that, take a screen shot of the effected area, then view it in a good area of the screen. If the problem doesn't show you have an LCD fault.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.