Is there anyway to use imac as a speakerphone with my USB modem

Reaction score
I was so excited to switch to mac to use all the multimedia features... and seem to be continually disappointed by what it doesn't do.

My fancy new imac 27" has a nice built in mic. I bought a fax/modem that connects with USB.. but I can't find a way to use the computer as a speakerphone. Even my cheapest PCs all did that.

Does anyone know of any software that will allow this?

thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What are you using to connect the fax/modem to? What software were you hoping to use? What is your end goal here?

The built-in mic, webcam and speakers are available to any application that wishes to have any audio/video capability..

OP
R
Reaction score
The Mac compatible fax modem connects via USB. A regular phone line plugs into the modem.
The mac has built in software that allows me to recieve and send faxes. It is a phone/fax modem. I would like to use the phone part just like you can on a PC. I can't understand why there isn't software (it should be built in like the fax software) to do that using the mic and speakers built in... like a speakerphone. There is a dialer on PCs that will do this as long as there is a modem card....

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
While PC's running older versions of Windows when FAX/Modems were prevalent had the dialers, I doubt the newer versions of Windows have support for the dialer anymore..it's just not how people work anymore, the brand new iMac is the same..

Did you notice that your new iMac is also missing the optical drive? If you use any VoIP software for communication, the misc, speakers and webcam will work fine..

OP
R
Reaction score
Who says that isnt' the way people work anymore? Some of us still communicate over the phone line. Windows 7 and 8 certainly do support it as long as there is a modem installed. Most do not come with a modem but it is very easy to add one (as opposed to the mac unless you use the USB).

I use Skype but that doesn't help when someone calls my house and I want to answer when sitting at the computer.

I see it as the future where I can just sit at my computer and talk on the phone without having a handset or separate speakerphone apparatus.

And yes, I noticed there is no optical drive. Apple wanted to make the imac thinner so out goes the drive. It is silly. Yes, making a laptop thinner is useful. But unless you go around the side of my computer, you can't see any difference since the previous version and...who cares? It doesn't save any desk space.

Yes, optical drives will probably go the way of the dinosaur. But they haven't yet. Many of us still need to record our audio/visual data to DVDs. It is ironic that mac is supposed to be better for multimedia...but it has less options than PC. I do video and audio work and people want a DVD to take home. I also do medical work and the image programs want to save to DVD. Again, I get it with laptops.. save space. But until DVDs are obsolete, taking the drive out was just arrogant. I bought a DVD drive to sit on my desk. it works but it isn't near as elegant. More wires and clutter - something Mac is supposed to do away with.

Anyway, If there is anyone out there that knows of dialer software, I'd appreciate the tip. If someone is a programmer, this would probably be a good product to design since there doesn't seem to be anything out there that I can find.

OP
R
Reaction score
Finally figured it out... I really can't use my modem. There just isn't software.. hard to believe. I can dial out from google voice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.