Trying to Bootcamp Mac Mini (Late 2012 model)

Reaction score
Hello!

For some reason, when i try bootcamping, it partitions the hard drive, and then when it restarts I initially get a blank white screen with no apple logo and a transition into a black screen with a blinking underdash on the top left corner. I have tried using the disk for windows 7 and windows 8 and i have tried it multiple times, with no luck. I have followed everyones instructions and still no luck.

Please help me!

Kind Regards,

BakerBoy11

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You stated you tried using the disk for Windows 7 and 8. How, since the new Mac Mini 2012 edition does not come with an optical drive?

Tell us exactly how you're trying to install Windows via the Boot Camp assistant and maybe we can help you to get it installed.

OP
B
Reaction score
I used the Superdrive :) What do you mean by 'How did you install Windows...' I used the disk copy, and it restarts after it partitions as usual, and then it does what i previously said :/

Kind Regards,

BakerBoy11

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Disk Copy? If you use bootcamp assistant, you run it, download the drivers, partition the drive and with the Windows DVD in the drive you let it reboot. Is that what you are doing?

The Black Screen with a flashing cursor shows its trying to boot off the Windows Partition but there is no Windows there to boot. It should be booting off the Windows DVD in that superdrive. Try booting holding down the C key right after the Apple Startup Sound. See if the Windows installer comes up. If that does not work try the Option key right after the sound and select windows, If you do not see Windows there, the optical drive is not reading the Windows DVD.

Are the Windows DVd's for 7 and 8 factory? Download and burned?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention you had an external Superdrive in your first post. Macs, all newer models without a built in optical drive, can install Windows using a flash drive. Superdrive not required. However, since you're using one it should have worked if you have an original Windows 7 or 8 DVD. You can also purchase either from MS as a download which means the iso has to be burned to a DVD. You also would need to download drivers from Apple as you were instructed to do during the Boot Camp procedure.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am using the Windows 7 Disk, and i have downloaded the drivers from Apple. It still comes up though for some odd reason.

Kind Regards,

Bakerboy11

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, going back through some older posts regarding installing Windows 7 or 8 on a new Mac without an optical drive, tells me that it's not going to work installing from the external superdrive. The reason is the driver for the external superdrive is not loaded until Windows is up and running. You're going to have to do the install from a bootable flash drive that you can create from the Windows disk.

OP
B
Reaction score
Problem with Bootcamping

Hello!

For some reason, when i bootcamp with Windows 8, it works fine until i get to the bit where you have to click "Drive options (advanced)." and then you have to Click Format, then click ok, then click Next. For some reason, i do that, and the Next button doesn't let me click it, it is still greyed out for some reason, even though i have done what it said. Please help me ASAP!

Kind Regards,

Alex

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - please don't start a new thread for an ongoing issue..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.