iPhone 5 dropped in water, help!

Reaction score
Yesterday, I accidentally dropped my iPhone 5 into the toilet bowl! I took it up immediately and when I checked for the first time, it still works. Then after I left it there thinking that it's fine. However, when I check it again after about 1 min later, the phone just turn off by itself. It's not responding in any way.

I was panic and went online to check for the possible solutions to revive my phone. I had placed in a container of uncooked rice for about 24 hours now. However when I took it out, the phone still won't respond!!

I checked my LCI but it wasn't red, surprising. It was white. Then how come after placing my phone in uncooked rice for a day, it still wouldn't work?

Omg, what should I do please? Help! :'(
Thank you!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Depending on how much water got in, you might want to keep it in the rice for a few days to get all the moisture out. If it still doesn't power up after that, you might have to take it apart and see if there is anything that you can see or clean up..

Water and electronics don't mix and just putting it in rice doesn't magically fix it. Additionally, if it DOES begin to work now, there are no guarantees that it will continue to work without any problems down the line..

OP
M
Reaction score
Depending on how much water got in, you might want to keep it in the rice for a few days to get all the moisture out. If it still doesn't power up after that, you might have to take it apart and see if there is anything that you can see or clean up..

Water and electronics don't mix and just putting it in rice doesn't magically fix it. Additionally, if it DOES begin to work now, there are no guarantees that it will continue to work without any problems down the line..

If, my LCI didn't turn red, am I allowed to ask Apple for a replacement? My phone is still under the one-year warranty.

I will try putting in the rice for a few more days.. How do I check if it does work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you can always try, and that should be the first place you go.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is one LCI that is externally visible, but there are others inside as well that aren't visible until you open up the device. So while the external LCI is not red, the ones inside might be and thus if you were to take it to Apple, they'll open it and find it red and give it back to you..

Water damage is not covered under the normal AppleCare warranty so that doesn't apply here. There is the AppleCare+ that is available when you purchase the iPhone itself (it cannot be bought later on) that allows for up to 2 replacements due to handling with a $50 deductible each time..

Once you've put it in the rice for a sufficient amount of time, try powering it on and see what happens. If nothing, then plug it into your computer to see if iTunes/computer will recognize it..

OP
M
Reaction score
you can always try, and that should be the first place you go.

Thank you.

There is one LCI that is externally visible, but there are others inside as well that aren't visible until you open up the device. So while the external LCI is not red, the ones inside might be and thus if you were to take it to Apple, they'll open it and find it red and give it back to you..

Water damage is not covered under the normal AppleCare warranty so that doesn't apply here. There is the AppleCare+ that is available when you purchase the iPhone itself (it cannot be bought later on) that allows for up to 2 replacements due to handling with a $50 deductible each time..

Once you've put it in the rice for a sufficient amount of time, try powering it on and see what happens. If nothing, then plug it into your computer to see if iTunes/computer will recognize it..

Thanks. Then if none of the above works it means that my phone is a gone case?

I'm actually thinking on bringing it to some other repair shop to ask about it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Then if none of the above works it means that my phone is a gone case?

I'm actually thinking on bringing it to some other repair shop to ask about it.

If you can't get it powered up and working yourself, I'd suggest you take to the Apple store just in case none of the internal sensors have tripped and see if they can help you out. If they find the internal sensors are tripped, they might suggest a price (usually a replacement issue here) to get a refurbed iPhone. With that information you can take it another shop if you wish to see if they can do anything for you..

OP
M
Reaction score
If you can't get it powered up and working yourself, I'd suggest you take to the Apple store just in case none of the internal sensors have tripped and see if they can help you out. If they find the internal sensors are tripped, they might suggest a price (usually a replacement issue here) to get a refurbed iPhone. With that information you can take it another shop if you wish to see if they can do anything for you..

I'm just afraid that they wouldn't actually care much after knowing that my phone has gotten wet. But worth a try, thank you!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm just afraid that they wouldn't actually care much after knowing that my phone has gotten wet. But worth a try, thank you!

Not a matter of not caring, but if they determine that the phone indeed has gotten wet, they are under no obligation to repair it any further. They will just give you the alternatives and associated prices to get a working phone again..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Dont tell them it got wet. Just say it went dead and doesnt seem to want to come back on.

OP
M
Reaction score
Not a matter of not caring, but if they determine that the phone indeed has gotten wet, they are under no obligation to repair it any further. They will just give you the alternatives and associated prices to get a working phone again..

Precisely. :\ Still, if the rice thing doesn't work out, I'm sending it to Apple or other repair shops for repair.

Dont tell them it got wet. Just say it went dead and doesnt seem to want to come back on.

But I think Apple is smart enough to find out what actually went wrong. :eek:

Will update on this thread if my phone got working after the rice thing or if I actually sent it for repair.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, telling them it didn't get wet is deceptive and will likely kill any chance of them having mercy on you and replacing the phone. From past experience with other members who underwent the same as you, Apple will replace the phone for a fee and supply you with a refurbished model. Apple refurbished devices are as good as new.

And what is it with folks who have to talk on the phone when they're using the toilet? ;P

C

chas_m

dont tell them it got wet. Just say it went dead and doesnt seem to want to come back on.

NO.

Very bad advice.

Any chance you might have of getting an exception or a break will fly OUT THE WINDOW if you lie. Apple techs are, by virtue of experience, SUPER GOOD at detecting liars.

OP
M
Reaction score
Also, telling them it didn't get wet is deceptive and will likely kill any chance of them having mercy on you and replacing the phone. From past experience with other members who underwent the same as you, Apple will replace the phone for a fee and supply you with a refurbished model. Apple refurbished devices are as good as new.

And what is it with folks who have to talk on the phone when they're using the toilet? ;P

It was an unfortunate accident.

NO.

Very bad advice.

Any chance you might have of getting an exception or a break will fly OUT THE WINDOW if you lie. Apple techs are, by virtue of experience, SUPER GOOD at detecting liars.

Yes, I agree.

In the end I went to my carrier store and asked them to repair it for me. There were some conflicts here and there as they refused to repair at first after knowing that the damage was due to water. However, I kinda persuaded them to help me sincerely and they eventually helped me to repair my phone. Well, we are all humans anyway. :)

So, my conclusion is that the uncooked rice method doesn't seem to work in my case. I advice those who are suffering from the same issue as me to just send your phone for repair if the uncooked rice method doesn't work. Talk to the tech nicely and they will see if they can revive your phone. If the phone is indeed beyond repair, then there is no choice for you but to change the phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.