Tranfering Data from windows to mac via ethernet. Server error! PLEASE HELP ASAP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '06 Macbook, 4gb RAM, OS X 10.8.3 Hacked onto, running smooth as any mac !
Hello all,

This is my first post on Mac-Forums, since I didn't really like macrumors forums.

I am trying to transfer all of my data from my Windows computer to my Mac, via a CAT6 high speed ethernet cable. When connecting the two computers, I enable file sharing on my windows computer, find the IP adress, go over to my mac and go to Finder>Connect To server and I enter in smb://100.100.100.1 (example IP) and I get this error:

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 5.02.48 AM.png

I seem to be doing everything right, as instructed in the video I watched. I did everything the guy said, it worked on the video but sadly, not for me ):

Can someone help me ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Without knowing what you've tried and configured, which OSs you're running etc it's hard to advise further.

So you can supply as much info as possible or try the Migration Assistant built into OSX

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Without knowing what you've tried and configured, which OSs you're running etc it's hard to advise further.

So you can supply as much info as possible or try the Migration Assistant built into OSX

I don't think my last reply went through for some reason. I am running 10.8.3 on my mac, and Windows 7 on my PC.

I have tried this video, which is a method well known around the web to work.

MAC TO PC FILE TRANSFER USING ETHERNET CABLE - QUICKEST WAY!!! STEP BY STEP - YouTube

also, I have checked in my System Preferences>Sharing and made sure smb is checked, etc.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, with the Migration Assistant, I will be able to transfer files via ethernet ? My PC has a near-full 350 gb HD and my Mac has a mostly free terabyte.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK there's a few things missing from that video.

Make sure in the Network and Sharing centre that password shares are turned off, file sharing and discovery is turned on and i'd use the user 'everyone' rather than guest.

I'd also disable the wifi adapters on both while you're doing this to avoid routing problems and disable your firewall in Windows temporarily.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK there's a few things missing from that video.

Make sure in the Network and Sharing centre that password shares are turned off, file sharing and discovery is turned on and i'd use the user 'everyone' rather than guest.

I'd also disable the wifi adapters on both while you're doing this to avoid routing problems and disable your firewall in Windows temporarily.

Yea, he was missing all of that but I had already done it, and I did use everyone instead of Guest. I'm gonna go ahead and try the Migration Assistant, but if I do it, will it put everything from my PC to one folder in my mac ? Or will it merge my PC documents folder with my Mac docu folder, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will put everything in it's Mac equivalent place docs to docs, pics to pics, etc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.