Green and pink lines on screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 in iMac (2013) , iPhone 6, iPod Shuffle
I walked away from my iMac for a few minutes, when I came back the screen was sleeping, as it should have been, when I woke it up it was frozen on the screen saver, and a quarter of it was covered with green horizontal lines. I restarted the computer and it would show the Apple icon, and then go to a white screen with pink lines. I did the soft reboot, and was able to get in. I did the other reboot (control, opt, r, p), and nothing happens. I can only get in with the soft boot, but my monitor is covered in green and pink lines. I've unplugged it for about 5 minutes also, and nothing.
I am using a 24 inch iMac, running OS X 10.6.8.
I read in one of the other forums where someone had the same problem with an iPhone, and someone said it was the logic board.

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Looks like a video chipset issue. the 24" iMac did not have the recalled Video chip that I know of.

What happens if you leave it off say 1 hour then try? Same issue?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This just happened tonight, so I haven't left it off more than a few minutes. I just turned it off and unplugged it for tonight. The screen gave me a headache. If I can't sleep I'll check it again in an hour or so.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like it might be a problem with your graphics chipset. The graphics adapter or chipset is soldered in place to the logic board on most iMacs. Which usually means the entire logic board must be changed if it turns out the graphics chipset is defective. Try running the Apple Hardware Test with your Snow Leopard disk set to see what if anything it indicates.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have a snow leopard disc. I took it to this apple clinic in town, ( he uses to work for apple, now he's on his own). He updated it for me. I'll call him tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone knew what it was or if it was something I could do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just turned it off and unplugged it for tonight.

That resets the SMC on the iMac. If the problem persists when you turn it on again, it may in fact be a defective graphics chipset.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This morning its still doing the same thing after being unplugged all night. It won't let me run a hardware test by holding down the D key at start up.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SMC Reset fixes it for me on the MP..I didn't have the issue until I updated to 10.8.3

What's SMC reset? And it started doing funny stuff after I updated to snow leopard as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's SMC reset? And it started doing funny stuff after I updated to snow leopard as well.

You already reset the SMC by unplugging your iMac and leaving it off for awhile.

SMC = System Management Controller

I don't believe updating to Snow Leopard has anything to do with the problem. It sure sounds like a hardware fault.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, OK. got it.
I called my Mac guy, he said it sounds like the graphic chip as well, $200 for part, $90 to fix it.
I only mentioned the OS update because I've read in a couple other places about people having graphic chip issues after the snow leopard update. In any case, its a 6 year old iMac, lots of milage.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, $290 is not a bad price if he can get you going again. A 24" iMac is still a very nice machine. I plan on upgrading my 21.5" iMac to a 27" model later on this year.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$290 is a lot cheaper than a new computer. I just hope that's the only problem, I lovely Mac! I'd love to upgrade to a 27 inch. Maybe next year.

Reaction score
Pink and white stripes Mac mini 2011 replace pram battery! That's it!

I Took my mid 2011 Mac bought in March 2012 to Apple Store at Village pointe Omaha at 4.30pm my case id 747399216 the genius connected it to a V7 17 inch monitor and told my logic board is dead!
even though I told him it was working each time I booted with Pram reset by comm and + option + p +r he snubbed!
HE simply connected a Mac air through the same Thunder bolt to via and say see this laptop display is picked up by the v7 monitor yours is blank because the display is dead. I told him I was using a hdmi to a Visio 26"tv at 1360x768 resolution at 60 hz and never uused any adapters he won't listen.
I did contest him how he can expect a Mac mini to adjust to a new external display like that of a laptop, as laptops do adapt since they need to plug to any projection output. He simply joked what difference both are computers!
i Also reasoned why they don't change the pram battery as it is 3 years old and apple puts in only a regular CR2032 battery! He again snubbed " no in your case it doesn't seem to be the problem". You see the logic board I'd dead, it's the most expensive of this least expensive Mac mini either pay $300for the board and $90 for the labour total $390 and you will get it in 7 days as I have to order it, Alternatively buy a new 2014 Mac mini for $499 only, only thing is you can't put RAM into it as it's not removable! Consider your options and let me know!".
At this moment I decided to try the battery replacement myself told him I will think over and come back in 1-3 days. I headed straight to L street Walmart picked up TS99818A ultra tough ultra steel 44 piece precision screwdriver bits set $6.97 and energizer 2 pack CR2032 batteries $4.97 so with taxes for less than $12, I wanted to fix it myself!
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini_Mid_2011 I used the instructions and in 1hour as I was over cautious, I got it done! Plugged in and switched on not even the lights came on! Then I opened again to know I forgot to plug the fan connector. So did that and finally closed the box and plugged hdmi and power cord, well I say the white screen then the Normal Mac boot it was fixed!
I did login and play a few itunes videos, then you tube, rebooted, shutdown multiple times in various intervals to be very sure.
Waited over night and tried today morning 2/15 and it is working just as normal!
I just would say Apple check your Genius's IQ please we can't be paying for their dumb brains!
All who face this problem of pink and white vertical stripes, pink and white bars, pink and white lines with AHT no problem, change your PRAM batteries! 2011 models the PRAM dies in 2014-2015 that is all you need fixing, if apple can't help you can do it yourself!
Thanks and Regards,
Shankar Raj.J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Snip

All who face this problem of pink and white vertical stripes, pink and white bars, pink and white lines with AHT no problem, change your PRAM batteries! 2011 models the PRAM dies in 2014-2015 that is all you need fixing, if apple can't help you can do it yourself!
Thanks and Regards,
Shankar Raj.J

You've added your post to an old thread a few years old regarding a completely different iMac. Really you should have started a new thread.

Yes PRAM batteries can cause issues. You don't need to replace them to fault find, simply check it's voltage with a DVM. They can fail, but in reality they do last a very long time. Most will outlast their iMac's. Earlier 3.6V and earlier still 4.5V PRAM batteries did have short lives, but these go back to pre intel PPC Mac's.

I change 2 -3 Radeon 6970M video cards a week in 2011 27" iMac's under AppleCare or the repair extension program. Apple has a Video System Test to help identifying the failed video card. These video faults are not caused by the PRAM batteries, but the video card, a known issue. Also, the newer Late 2012 27" to the current iMacs do not suffer from the same issues as the earlier 27" iMac's, and additionally their GPU circuitry is integrated into the logic board. These newer iMacs are much more reliable than earlier models, and run much cooler, plus only have one rather than three cooling fans.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, the newer Late 2012 27" to the current iMacs do not suffer from the same issues as the earlier 27" iMac's, and additionally their GPU circuitry is integrated into the logic board. These newer iMacs are much more reliable than earlier models, and run much cooler, plus only have one rather than three cooling fans.

You made my day Steve. :) However, I still purchased Apple Care. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.