Display on 2008 Macbook pro has gone checkered

Reaction score
The display on my laptop has stopped working. It only shows a checkered background. It is from 2008. Is my video card fried?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a graphics problem, however, since you didn't provide us with any other info - like which model Mac you have and what version of OS X it's running, we can't properly answer your question.

OP
S
Reaction score
It is model #a1260. Not sure what type of o sx it's running since I cannot see anything on the screen. I plan on taking it to the apple store soon.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, you have an early 2008 15" MacBook Pro with the nVidia Geoforce 8600 GT graphics chipset.

Unfortunately, your MacBook Pro was one of the models which has the graphics chipset that fails suddenly. Apple extended the warranty on those models but that program is now over. If the graphics chipset has failed (and it sounds like yours has) it will cost more to repair it than the machine is worth. The reason is the graphics chipset is surface mounted to the Logic board which means the entire board must be replaced. An expensive repair.

Make sure when you take it on in to Apple to look at, that you request an estimate of repairs before letting them work on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.