video capture cards for mac

Reaction score
looking fore a good video capture cad so I can put my old VHS tapes on hard drive and then into IMovie for editing .

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure if it's still made but I love my Plextor ConvertX. Using it right now to convert a bunch of old VHS tapes to DVD for the people I live with. If you get it with Eye TV it's great.

Eye TV makes good stuff but hardware wise I have only worked with the Plextor. Let me check if it's still made.

Just checked and that Mac version is history. It's been replaced by some skinny looking thing for Windows only. Lets see what others suggest.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks , can I import to IMovi ? I want to be able to edit them before I copy them.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have been using a Blackmagic Design: Intensity and like it. I use the one that is a PCI card in a Mac Pro. The other versions work with other Macs though. I am keeping the card around till I decide whether I am getting a Mac Pro or not.

I have had their software crash a few times during capture. Otherwise it works reasonably well. It saves in a variety of formats and some import into iMovie.

Be aware that the choice of format can significantly affect file size. Uncompressed QuickTime mov for example can run to many gigabytes. Drive speed can also affect things. I saved several files to a 5400 rpm drive and found the audio/video were out of sync.

C

chas_m

Most of us here would probably suggest you look at El Gato's EyeTV offerings. They're very Mac-centric, good quality, etc.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like I said in my 1st post, Eye TV makes great stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.