• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What's your favorite beers of all time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm on this kick for trying out new beers and thought this would be a good thread start and see what others like. I'm not talking about the typical US domestic swill here. I'll start off with some of my favorites.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout.
This is a pretty good dark beer that was in my top 3 list for a few years now until recently.

Crooked Line Oak Jacked Pumpkin Ale.
I love pumpkin anything (bread, muffins, pies, you name it) and have long looked forward to a good pumpkin ale when fall rolls around. I first discovered this a few months ago and it is one of the tastiest pumpkin ales ever made. It has a strong taste of honey to it and is aged in oak barrels. which adds to the flavor. It's truly amazing.

New Belgium Imperial Coffee Stout
I first tried this a few months ago also on the recommendation of a co-worker. I'd already developed a taste for coffee stouts, thanks to one that Sam Adams put out a couple years ago, and to another by Kona Brewing. This one makes those look like tap water.

Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal Imperial Stout
This is currently my favorite. By far. No contest at all. I like oatmeal stouts (Sam Smith comes to mind) but this is a whole new level of deliciousness. It's aged in whiskey barrels, and you can taste the hint of whiskey in this beer. I HIGHLY recommend it. It has won a couple awards, and it totally deserved them.

Uinta Dubhe
This is a dark IPA brewed with hemp seed. I don't normally like bitter beers, but this one is pretty good once you get past that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Many years ago while in Japan I drank Sapporo dark and Kirin dark, both of which had a very stout taste. Very similar to Heineken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Wow, this could get to be a very... very... VERY long subject ;)

In general though, I drink locally. So I have different favorites for each place I've been. Oh also the weather plays into effect..

For instance, on a cold, wet day.. I'll go for a schwarzbier, or a extra stout, on a warm day, a hefeweisen or a good pils.. etc. (hrm, I must be readying myself to be back in Germany)

Oh, and if you happen to be in a brew pub... get the sampler (every one I've been in has one, even if it's not on the menu).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Founders Backwoods Bas***rd Ale.
It's awesome.

Reaction score
The issue is you like English stouts so nothing I could recommend you'd like. German bocks are different than english stouts, You don't like bitter beers so you knock out many varieties of Pils and Keller biers.

Try a Tucher Wiezen if you see one. I like much of the Flying Dog line. I like Founders because I'm from West Michigan, along the same lines I like Old Peninsula and Bells if you in the neighborhood. Good beer comes in all gravities and colors don't limit yourself to the english stouts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Theakston's Old Peculiar

Reverend James

And for warm summer days: Stella Artois or San Miguel

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Funny you should mention San Miguel. A great tasting tropical beer if purchased in the Philippines where it was originally brewed. I drank enough of it while in Manila. When exported, it does not have the same taste.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
About fifteen years ago I got into Homebrewing and kept it up for a number of years.

The third batch I brewed was awesome, dark and rich and sweet, with a creamy head. I shared some with friends who raved about it and asked me to brew some specially for them.

Unfortunately I was never able to quite replicate it. :'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
About fifteen years ago I got into Homebrewing and kept it up for a number of years.

I knew some folks in NY where I grew up who used to do the same thing. My dad even experimented in our basement with various mixes and such. Some of what he brewed was pretty good - but not as good as the "White Lightning" stuff I remember buying when passing through Upstate NY many years ago. We used to call it "Apple Jack" but the kick it had was more like a jack-hammer. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I quit drinking completely 7 years ago. When I did drink, it was mainly Guinness Extra Stout interspersed with Glenlivet. Of course I never had a problem "slumming it" with Hamms and Smirnoff when circumstances dictated such. Still, after years of drinking "liquid bread", everything else seemed weak.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The issue is you like English stouts so nothing I could recommend you'd like. German bocks are different than english stouts, You don't like bitter beers so you knock out many varieties of Pils and Keller biers.

There is no "issue". I've had a few bocks over the years and like them perfectly fine. The only one I can specifically name at the moment is Aass Bock. Aass (pronounced like "house" minus the "h", iirc) is a Norwegian brewery. About 10 years ago, I decided to look into Norwegian brews out of curiosity, being of Norwegian descent. It was very hard to come by then (I found a single place I could order it from and have shipped), and currently appears to be unavailable in the US. That's a shame because I recall liking their bock a lot and would like to try it again.

At any rate, my list was by no means comprehensive... just what was on my mind at the moment. I also intended for this thread to be a general sharing of what we all like, not just what I might like.

I've been telling myself for the past 15 years that I want to try homebrewing. I'm pretty sure I'd suck at it though.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've been telling myself for the past 15 years that I want to try homebrewing. I'm pretty sure I'd suck at it though.

I enjoyed it. Can be very labor intensive, and the results are HIGHLY variable with small variations in technique and ingredients.

My plan is to someday (after retirement) try it again. Gave it up before because we had gotten involved in a ministry of our church helping folks struggling with substance abuse and didn't seem to be an appropriate hobby given that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When exported, it does not have the same taste.
Exported beers never seem to taste really good. I'm starting to believe that myth about Guinness (that it tastes better the closer one is to Ireland) applies to all beers.

I have a really hard time picking a few. I'm notorious for going to a pub and picking beers on the menu that I've never heard of which happens a lot since there seems to be a few decent pubs around me that have decent selections. I usually end up liking most but some do require a bit of patience. For instance, it took me some time to "grow into" Guinness and Steam Whistle (a microbrew pilsner out of Toronto).

I will admit though that I really can't do light beers. And don't get me started on these beer/fruit hybrids...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"/2.5GHz/8Gb/1Tb - iMac 21.5"/2.7GHz/8Gb/1Tb
C

chas_m

I prefer the dark beers, so I suspect lifeisabeach and I would get along famously were we to meet up. I particularly enjoy Oatmeal Stouts but haven't had the one he mentions.

I definitely second the notion that beer is best fresh and local ... I had a Sam Adams in Boston many years ago and was QUITE AMAZED at the inferior quality of the one I had in Florida later.

Here on Vancouver Island we have a few breweries and I've grown fond of Phillips Blue Buck, an amber ale. When I can't get local or don't want one, I tend to stick to Guinness, McEwan's, and Samuel Smith choices so as not to waste money, but if there's a local dark beer around I'll take a chance on it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I decided to make it my mission to pick up a couple bocks today. I'm drinking one now straight from Germany and I have to say this is one of the more interesting beers I've ever had. It's a... well heck if I can say the brewery name. It's a dopplebock and says "Schlenkerla Oak Smoke". And I'll be danged... it really tastes like it was smoked with oak chips.

Found it:
Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla - Bamberg, Germany - BeerAdvocate

Well at least you went for Bavarian beer..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have tried so many in the last few years, it is hard to remember. My local liquor store has a Growler Wall with 40 taps. They are all sold by the growler and by the taste. There is something new every week as the taps run out and new beers come in. I have had some great micros and imports, so many I cant keep track anymore.

However, my all time favorite is Belhaven St. Andrews out of Dunbar in Scotland. Also up at the top is Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well at least you went for Bavarian beer..

Here, I just order 'pils', 'weiße', 'schwarzbier', etc.. I get whatever is poured most that way ;)

viele Grüße aus Mainz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I thought this was about beer ! :)
Living in " Beer " country myself, Chimay, Orval, Maredsous are a couple of my favourites.

Difficult to decide with more than 200 local beers to choose from. :)

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.