Lost Iphoto Library

Reaction score
Once in a while, my kids get to my IMAC and do things I have no idea how. In this case, my iPhoto library is missing. It looks like a brand new iPhoto library since there is no trace of my photos or albums. This has happened before where I found exclamation marks which is was able to fix. In this case, I don't see the iPhoto library in the trash where it was last time. Any assistance where to start looking would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you making backups using Time Machine? That's the best defense against the kids moving things other than keeping them off your Mac. They may have moved your iPhoto library somewhere else. Use Spotlight and do a search for "iPhoto Library". If you can't find it, it's possible they may have deleted it and emptied the Trash.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks chscag ! Unfortunately not but now planning to. I did use Spotlight and checked the HD and able to find Iphoto libary but its basically the new empty one and not the original one what was full of pictures and albums. Also, the trash has been not been deleted as there are a bunch of items still there from awhile. Anything else I can do to find the original library ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They could have moved it to a location in your user library. If you're running Lion or Mountain Lion, the user library is hidden by default. Spotlight is not very good at finding something that's either buried or in hidden folders.

What I suggest is to try another app that may have better luck searching through your hard drive. I use a small free app called "Find Any File" which you can download from here.

OP
M
Reaction score
This app worked ! I was able to find the iphoto libary.
Thanks chscag , really appreciate your help !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear it worked for you. Now, don't forget to make those backups..... ;)

C

chas_m

... and stop letting your kids use your account. Give them their own account or better yet a guest account. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.