Printer Sharing assistance, Pleez....

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a printer connected to my iMac G5 2GHz.

I network with a PC and both computers are side by side.

I've been unplugging the USB cable back and forth between both computers but realize that I should be able to share the printer between them.

The printer will be connected to the Mac and I have set up printer sharing on both computers and have not yet been able to print anything on the PC.

I have added a printer to the PC and the printer shows up in the network folder on the PC, but if I try to print a doc the printer window appears and it is collecting the printer status (the printer name indicates that the printer is on the Mac), then the printer status window suddenly quits.

I've tried copying the doc to the Drop Box folder within the Public folder that appears when I double-click on the icon representing the Mac but the same problem persists.

The networking side of things works fine but I just need help with the printer sharing part. Printer sharing is enabled on both the PC & the iMac.

Thanks in advance :biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I've had success printing to a shared Mac printer from a PC by adding an http printer in the add printer wizard.

Use the URL

http://MACIPADDRESS:631/printers/Mac_printer_queue_name

eg

http://192.168.1.100:631/printers/Epson_Stylus_740

You will need to know your Mac's IP and the print queue name from the print center. You will also need to use a post script driver. This may take some trial and error finding a good post script driver to use.

Also important is the :631 and printers in lower case in the URL

Good Luck

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for your super-informative post MacsWork!

I can't wait to try out your suggestion.

MacsWork said:
You will need to know your Mac's IP and the print queue name from the print center. You will also need to use a post script driver. This may take some trial and error finding a good post script driver to use.

I'm fine with the Mac's IP but the print queue name from the print centre has me stumped....!

Where is this info located exactly...?

Is it the name of the printer eg:

\\MSHOME\\iP4000?

(Edit) I tried the method you gave but failed...When I entered the URL I got an error about the name of the printer.

I'm not exactly sure what name I gave the printer now.

Its been so confusing for me and I now have about 4 printers installed on the PC but still can't get a print job done.

A couple of them say they are ready but won't respond to actually print something.

All I see is the little window that tells you that the info relating to the text doc is being sent to the printer, then the printer status window opens but quits before I can see what's happening!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The queue name can be found in printer setup utility. Select the printer you wish to print to and click show info. In the name and location section the queue name is listed. It needs to be case sensitive in the pc url.

OP
N
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the printer is actually installed on both the PC & the iMac. By adding a new printer to the PC will that confuse things? Do I need to uninstall the printer first?

What about the many attempts to add a printer to the PC, there are now about 4 versions of the same printer, some are ready and some are offline? Should I delete them?

OP
N
Reaction score
OK....Update....

I gave up trying to connect to the printer from the PC end so I connected the printer to the PC, then tried to print a doc from the Mac end of the network.

I looked at the help file and added the printer then I was successful in printing a doc with the printer connected to the PC~~~~~:0>

Now I have to figure out how to access some of the features that don't appear on the Mac....duplex printing, and how to control the size and layout which appears on the printed page as it's currently printing very small characters....???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.