Trash Basket

Reaction score
Not very clued up on OS X looking for help please.

There are 15 folders in my Trash basket which came from my back up drive, an OS X automatic backup system, (Time machine?) I sent the folders to Trash from this drive, reason to start afresh clean up on that backup drive.

The problem I have is that I can not empty any of these folders from trash, everything else is removed OK however not the folders from backup.

Is there a way to force delete from trash ?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You should avoid removing files from a TM backup manually. TM removes old files automatically and doing so yourself risks corrupting the backup. Just a tip for the future. :)

Files in the trash that were originally on an external drive can only be removed when that drive is plugged in.

OP
C
Reaction score
Many Thanks vansmit, for the useful information.

I notice the folders disappear when the backup drive is unplugged, and reappear when connected, however will not let me delete on connection. the folders are not present on the b-up drive which are 2012
only files for 2013 are displayed there, so I can not find them to erase them. any thoughts please

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, that's right. As Vansmith says, the Trash "belongs" to the Ext HD and so appears when it is mounted and disappears when it is not.

There are a few things you could try with the Ext HD mounted.
Firstly, you could reboot and see if that works.
Next you could Go into Finder>Preferences>Advanced and check the "Empty Trash Securely" and the try to delete.
Finally, you could download the free App called OnyX. Beware: OnyX is different for all versions of OS X (SL, Lion, ML) so download the version that goes with your OS.

When you open OnyX, it will ask for your admin PW, scan your HD and then give you a menu bar with numerous options. Choose "Cleaning" and then "Trash" and then "Execute". That should do the trick.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Ian

OnyX was the app that did clear the basket for me I am most grateful to you for your help, and if you are ever in the west of Ireland I can offer you a free B&B and a free game of Golf on a champion course...... Colin :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Colin

I'm so glad it worked out for you. It is what the Forums are all about.

As a Scot, golf is in the genes; but at my age travel and so on are more an aspiration than a reality!

Good fortune.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
OK Ian Thanks anyway, I am 73 and not sure how long I can play, I can here you say 280 yards? we live in hope, mind you these new drivers?.

Good luck :Mischievous:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.