verizon loophole round 2

Reaction score
So i was able to take advantage of the verizon loophole when the iphione 5 came out so I still have unlimited data plans for myself and my wife's iphone 5. We're on a family plan with a total of 5 phones. Our two, plus 3 "dumb" phones. We used two of the three "dumb" phones to upgrade and take advantage of the loophole.

My question is whent he iphone 5s or iphone 6 comes out, does anybody know if I'll be able use the loophole again? In our case, we would have just one phone line since the other two were recently used. I believe we have to wait two years before those two "dumb" phone lines become eligible but since the thrid "dumb" phone line was never used, would I be able to still use the loophole to get one iphone 5s/6?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can't answer your question for sure. But I can tell you this much..... that Verizon and AT&T are not going to continue "grandfathering" their unlimited plans for very long. Verizon on the whole has been more generous than AT&T but I would expect to see some changes in the future. Anyway, you'll just have to wait and see what they do when the next iPhone (5S or 6) becomes available.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Just because you are on a family plan, you might be able to continue using the "loophole" as each of you remaining phones become eligible..but it all depends on their whims and they could change their mind..

I had a AT&T individual plan that was grandfathered into the unlimited plan for a while and then I transferred control to my company and they took over the billing. When I left the company, I pulled my number back and tried to get back into the unlimited plan but it was considered a new line/account, so no go..I tried escalating as high as I could go but it was for not..so now I've got the lowest data plan until I decide my next steps..

OP
H
Reaction score
Can't answer your question for sure. But I can tell you this much..... that Verizon and AT&T are not going to continue "grandfathering" their unlimited plans for very long. Verizon on the whole has been more generous than AT&T but I would expect to see some changes in the future. Anyway, you'll just have to wait and see what they do when the next iPhone (5S or 6) becomes available.

Interesting thought about grandfathering but here's the thing about this "loophole." People are calling it a "loophole" (mainly for lack of a better term) because most everybody will understand what the topic is about but the reality is, this "loophole" is not anything new to VZ. They actually have a term for it called an Alternate Upgrade and that's what the sales lady referred to it as when my wife and I did the "lopphole" when the iphone 5 came out. I asked her about it and she said it's nothing new and they've been doing it all along. It's just it came to light and has been catching some steam because of the iphone 5 and the unlimited data plans.

So to call it a "loophole" is actually inaccurate as it's not really cheating the system because VZ actually allows this to be done. They been doing it for years but people haven't cared for it until the iphone 5 came out and the unlimited data plans were cut at the same time.

I'm hoping VZ doesn't change their policies anytime soon as I would like to keep my unlimited data plans. I don't necessarily plan on upgrading with the iphone 5s/6 but if the phones are too awesome to pass up, I might have to do it. Otherwise, I'll wait a few years to try for an upgrade.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm hoping VZ doesn't change their policies anytime soon as I would like to keep my unlimited data plans. I don't necessarily plan on upgrading with the iphone 5s/6 but if the phones are too awesome to pass up, I might have to do it. Otherwise, I'll wait a few years to try for an upgrade.

So far the only thing Verizon has changed is their price structure and "bundling" policy. I own a Verizon iPad 3 cellular model and their prices for data have remained the same for that device. However, they (last year) increased prices on everything else including my FIOS net and TV connection. I use T-Mobile for my cells but have no current plans to switch to the iPhone 5 with them. I may later on when a newer iPhone is released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Just wanted to add that I got the iPhone 5 yesterday on Verizon and was able to keep my unlimited data. In my case my dumb phone was not eligible for an upgrade, so I transferred one of my unlimited lines upgrades to the dumb phone. I activated the dumb phone with the iPhone 5 on the dumb phones line using the smartphones upgrade, with a 2gb data package. Then the associate reactivated my dumb phone on the dumb phone line, essentially deactivating the iPhone 5 from any plan. Made me a new sim card for my smartphone line, and activated the iPhone 5 on it transferring my grandfathered unlimited data.

So, to answer your question, in my case I didn't have to use my dumb phones upgrade, just any upgrade on my account whilst activating on the dumb phone line first so as to not erase my unlimited plan. This only works if you go through Verizon, not Best Buy or Amazon.

Btw, if the rep tells you it won't activate for 24 hours on any other line, ask them to try to activate it anyway. There is no such limitation (at least not yet), and if they say no then go to another store and ask them to activate the phone on your line. Also, make sure you activate a dumb phone again on the dumb phone line before moving the iPhone to another line so that when you bring the iPhone in to get activated it is free and clear of programming to any line.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.