Font Problem in 10.7.5

Reaction score
I downloaded a font and installed it to Font Book which promptly told me there was a minor issue with the font ('Name' table structure). I continued to install it anyway and I can see it in Font Back (and it shows it in preview) but I can't see the font in any application (in Font Book it's called 'Final Frontier').

Any ideas? Do I have to repair the font somehow before I can use it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If Font Book had a problem with that particular font, it put the font in the "Disabled Fonts" folder which resides in your User Library. Any font placed in the Disabled Fonts folder is not available for use. Try locating another download for that font and try again. By the way, the User Library in Lion is hidden by default.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks chscag. The font wasn't disabled and as it turns out I could use it in Adobe Illustrator - only Apple's TextEdit & MS Word for Mac can't see it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MS Word is very fussy about which fonts it will use. I have many additional fonts loaded and also a font manager but a good portion of them do not show up in Word so that doesn't surprise me. However, every font I have loaded does show up in TextEdit or other Apple apps. That particular font probably does have a problem with it. See if you can repair it with the Font Book app.

OP
R
Reaction score
I tried to repair it in Font Book (the error was deemed minor) but couldn't see anything other than 'Validate Font' which then only allows me to delete it. I tried a Terminal util but failed (nothing to do with the font, though).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably best then to leave it be unless you can find another source of download for that particular font. Also, if you're in the market for some free fonts, the Mac App store has some that are free packaged together. "Mac Fonts Free Collection" a 40 font bundle that looks nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.