• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't burn dvd - burn button greyed out

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a macbook air with an external superdrive, so AFAIK I should be able to burn dvd projects from idvd. However, when I connect the superdrive and insert an empty dvd, the burn button remains 'greyed out' and I am unable to click it. I've been reading older posts with similar questions, but the problem always seems to be that the poster only has a combodrive.

Would appreciate any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Gday and welcome to the forums.
Can you watch DVD's and listen to Audio CD's when this is connected ??
If so the SuperDrive seems to be working then.
Maybe try another program/App called Burn to burn the projects after saving them to your HD first. Im not big on iDVD and think have only used it once, so i wouldn't be able to help troubleshooting it, but try Burn and see how you go, if it seems the SuperDrive is working properly.

Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! I downloaded Burn and that seemed to work fine. However, I am unable to actually watch the burned dvd on my macbook air now; it says, 'supported disc not available'. I then went and googled that, only to find that I should try repairing my disc permissions using Disc Utility. But in Disc Utility the option to repair the disc isn't highlighted (meaning I can't choose it). I can choose 'check disc' (or something like that, my mac speaks danish) and then Disc Utility scans the disc only to tell me that everything seems fine, which everything clearly isn't...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Repairing zDisk permissions it means your HD, so click on the HD in the oft column, Not the very Top entry but the one thats says Macintosh HD. Select that then the repair permissions tab. Let it do what it needs to do then once its finished log out then back in. On a side note, don't be worried about all the errors it brings up in the log window. Ignore them and as i said log out then in and you shout be right to go.

Cheers

EDIT : Not trying to be dummy as this happens quite a lot when people use Burn. But did you select Video out of the selection of Data>Audio>Video>Copy and then DVD-Video in the drop down on the left and NOT VCD, SVCD or Divx ??
Its easy to over look when your eager to get it right :) As well in the Burn Preferences Under the file Menu Burn in the Menu Bar have you set the region to your region PAL or NTSC Just a couple things to look at

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.