Retrieving password

Reaction score
According to Apple, my Apple password has been changed, so that I may no longer obtain access to iCloud, &c. How this can have happened, I have no idea.

I want now to arrange matters so that I am able to continue to use my old password.

However, all of the steps suggested by Apple involve creating a new password.

Is it possible actually to retrieve the old password, and, if so, how is it done ?

MacBook Air, Mountain Lion

OP
P
Reaction score
Go here:
https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/
to reset your password.

If your account has been compromised and the password reset you certainly don't want to keep using the same password.

No, my account has not been compromised. The change occurred as a completely unintended result of my trying to sort out the login-details on my wife's MacBook.

I am afraid that the link that you have given me takes me to a site that will not permit me to retrieve my old details, but requires me to choose new details. Thank you anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
According to Apple, my Apple password has been changed, so that I may no longer obtain access to iCloud, &c. How this can have happened, I have no idea.
Sorry, you said you had no idea how it happened, hence the advice.

That link had a 'Manage your ID' button. That allows you to reset the password on an existing account. However, you still can not re-use a password you have already used, so you won't be able to return the password to what it was.

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry, you said you had no idea how it happened, hence the advice.

That link had a 'Manage your ID' button. That allows you to reset the password on an existing account. However, you still can not re-use a password you have already used, so you won't be able to return the password to what it was.

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.