Mac only works when charging

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a problem with my Mac and have been unable to find any relevant answers to this problem online.

Basically, my Mac only works when charging. This is not a battery problem as I have bought 2 new batteries so the likelihood of both these being defective is minimal.

The second I take the lead out it switches off instantly. The Mac is approx 5 years old and works perfectly except for this issue and it just happened one day randomly. I have tried resetting the PRAM and this doesn't work either.

If anyone can give any advice on what the problem could be, what could be done to fix it and any potential costs involved it would be greatly appreciated.

I also do not have the funds to replace the computer so advice purely on fixing the problem is what I am after.

Many thanks everyone,

Ben

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are several things that could be defective which would cause your Mac to only run when the MagSafe Adapter charger is attached. The MagSafe Adapter itself could be defective or the DC input control board could be bad.

Since you didn't tell us which Mac you have (year and model) nor which version of OS X it's running, it's difficult to try to give you some idea of possible cost to repair.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think the adaptor is a problem as I have tried 3 chargers and it is still the same.

The Mac is a MacBook Pro 2008, Intel Core 2 Duo and is running Snow Leopard (version 10.6.8).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.