Unable to login to MacBook

Reaction score
When I power on my MacBook & arrive at the login screen, I'm unable to login. After typing in my login password, I get a white/grey screen & then it boots me back out to the login screen again. I've tried safe mode & nothing is corrected. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Which version of OS X is your MacBook running? If Lion or Mountain Lion, try booting to the recovery partition (hold down command + r). If not Lion or ML, try using your original install DVD disk to boot the machine. Let us know the result and please include the specs for your MacBook and which version of OS X you're using.

OP
L
Reaction score
A friend emailed me back & we did some troubleshooting online. Turns out it will not repair with the disc, & I need to replace the hard drive. So I will lose what is on my computer :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.