Macbook Pro 13' (Early 2011)

Reaction score
I have a problem with the Macbook fan. The fan is running normally at 2000 rpm, but as soon as I open any game, like Football Manager 13 for example, it starts running at 6200 rpm and noise is loud. I've ran Apple Hardware Test, but didn't find any problems. I've searched everywhere on the internet for a fix, but didn't find any. It's really annoying, could someone help me please?

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've searched everywhere on the internet for a fix, but didn't find any. It's really annoying, could someone help me please?

Thanks in advance.

There is no fix. Some applications (games) simply push the limits of the hardware (the graphics hardware in this case)...and the computer gets hot.

As you've seen...when you don't play this game everything is fine...and as soon as you play it...then things get hot & the fans gets loud.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Yea, but my brother has the same laptop as mine and the fan is working fine with no loud noise.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Perhaps you want to characterize the noise as either a loud fan noise or something else? If the noise is just the fan running at the high RPMs and creating the noise, as Nick said, that's normal due to the high temps. If there is some other noise related to a failing fan, than that's a different story..

I imagine, however, that if the fan was failing or making a weird sound, it'd make it at the lower 2000 RPM as well..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yea, but my brother has the same laptop as mine and the fan is working fine with no loud noise.

Are you saying that your brother has EXACTLY the same model computer...he plays exactly the same game...and his Early 2011 13" MBP does not get hot & his computers fans are not getting to 6000rpm?

If they are not EXACTLY the same model computer...then the comparison does not work.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Perhaps you want to characterize the noise as either a loud fan noise or something else? If the noise is just the fan running at the high RPMs and creating the noise, as Nick said, that's normal due to the high temps. If there is some other noise related to a failing fan, than that's a different story..

I imagine, however, that if the fan was failing or making a weird sound, it'd make it at the lower 2000 RPM as well..

Yea, it's the sound of the fan running at high RPMs, but is that normal? The sound is pretty clear. Even my ****** HP laptop didn't do that when I was playing games!

OP
S
Reaction score
Are you saying that your brother has EXACTLY the same model computer...he plays exactly the same game...and his Early 2011 13" MBP does not get hot & his computers fans are not getting to 6000rpm?

If they are not EXACTLY the same model computer...then the comparison does not work.

- Nick

Yes, Nick. He has exactly the same model as mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13'' (3 GHZ i7, 8GB)
if both of you have the same models with same features, it means your MB might have some problems, go to apples genius bar they will help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you're telling us does not sound normal if the fan goes into high gear as soon as you open the game. I can understand the fan ramping up as you get into the game and playing it for awhile. Try resetting your SMC and if that doesn't work to tone things down a bit, I would make an appointment with your local Apple store.

Reset SMC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.