How do I navigate to a file on my mac through VM Fusion?

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I currently put some critical files in Dropbox that I like to have access to on the road, but this particular file/program doesn't work well with Dropbox, so I want to put it in the OS X "shared folder". Problem is I can't figure out how to navigate to those folders from within VM Fusion.

ideas?

Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Which "shared folder"? Have you ensured that the folder is being shared in the System Preference pane for sharing?

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Which "shared folder"?
The shared folder that resides in the users folder in parallel with my wife's and my accounts

Have you ensured that the folder is being shared in the System Preference pane for sharing?
No clue what you mean by this. The folder I'm referring to automatically shares across all users. VM Fusion sets up a user's home folder as a mapped network drive...but I can't sem to find a way out of that user's little world.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's been a while since I had VMWare Fusion running... but from memory, Fusion sets up a shared folder or folders between the virtual session and your Macs file folders. I remember choosing my "user name" from Finder to share and Fusion would automatically open that up when I wanted to share between the two. Is that what you're referring to?

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't recall it asking, it just set up the user's home folder as a mapped drive within the virtual windows world. I need to go to a the shared folders that is akin to another user...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I see what you're saying now. Van asked if your shared folder that you setup was shown in System Preferences, Sharing? Even if it is, I'm not sure that you can access it from within the virtual machine. I have never tried to setup a shared folder to use with Fusion and not sure if it will even work.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I finally found it here. Google can be a wonderful thing but sometimes you have to be clever when picking your search words.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back. The article you found is exactly what I was referring to in post number 4. Unfortunately it's been so long since I had Fusion running, that I forgot the proper terminology to setting it up. Sorry about that. But glad you found it on your own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.