Can't Connect to Router

Reaction score
Hi, Today I've been unable to connect with my router. I've tried resetting it and the modem multiple times and changed my settings on the router's administrative page sevral times as well to no avail. What keeps happening is when I type in my password to connect with the router it says, "The network 'name' requires a wpa password". I've tried security settings for wpa 2 and wpa, still no luck. I upgraded the router's firmware, nothing. I can get the internet when I'm plugged in to the router, I just can't get wi fi.

Anyone have any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, make sure you're connecting to your network and not that of a neighbor. It sounds like you're trying to connect to another network which is protected by WPA or WPA2 security. You should be able to recognize your own network from its name. That is, if you gave it a name when you set it up?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, just making sure as it's a mistake that's easily made. If you've already tried to do a factory reset and that didn't work, you may have a defective router (WiFi radio failure). Do you have another that you can try? In the meantime, use the ethernet connection.

By the way, the WiFi radio is usually the first thing that fails on a router - so it's not an uncommon occurrence.

OP
D
Reaction score
I was thinking the router might be defective, or else maybe the airport recognition is flawed or something. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare computer or router.

OP
D
Reaction score
I should also add that the router would show up in network prferences with varying degrees of strength. I was right next to it the whole time, but every time I reset everything, its strength would differ. Sometimes it would have full strength, sometimes only 2 or 3 bars, even though I was right next to it every time. The router is probably 5 years old.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can verify your Airport ability by clicking on the Apple symbol in the upper left corner of your screen and selecting "About this Mac". When that opens, select "More Info" and then select "System Report". Scroll on down to "Network" and select "WiFi". It'll take several seconds but a whole bunch of data should be displayed concerning your Airport card and type. That means it's working.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That means your Airport card in the Mac is OK. And since the router is 5 years old anyway, a new one would likely give you much better reception and WiFi speed.

OP
D
Reaction score
I guess without another computer to test we will not know. I just hate to drop 60-100 on something if it's not needed. Can you recommend a good router? I was thinking of going with the 150 Mbps medialink. It's an upgrade to what have now at only 54 Mbps, although I've heard even 54 is more than most will ever need.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your net speed is fast, very fast. As you say, probably more than you'll ever need although for streaming movies or videos, faster is better. As to which router, most any good named brand router will suffice. Apple routers are some of the best so you might consider one of those.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.