Jailbreaking iPhone 4

Reaction score
Reaction score
Its a scam. The jailbreak is always free do not pay for it. Go and search redsn0w 0.9.15b3 it can do a semi tethered jailbreak on 6.1.3 but only if you have a iphone 4, iphone 3gs or ipod touch 4g. There are plenty of videos on youtube for the jailbreak.

C

chas_m

Let's back up for a minute here, if you don't mind.

1. What exactly do you want to achieve by jailbreaking?

2. You understand what MasterShake means when he says "semi-tethered" above? Is that okay?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the replies

Thought that site was too good to be true. Thanks MasterShake

chas_m,

I have a 4S. I want to Jailbreak to install Cydia but am confused as there is so much info on how to do it. I do not know what semi-tethered is??? I want to do it so I can turn it on and off without the jailbreak 'going away' if that makes sense.

I also want to unlock it as my contract is up and want to use a GiffGaff SIM (UK), as I understand unlocking is different to jailbreaking? So do I Jailbreak or Unlock first?

Confused?

C

chas_m

What exactly do you think you will be getting from installing Cydia then?

But let me cut to the chase: if you've upgraded to 6.1.3, there's no "untethered" jailbreak available (the kind you indicate you want). There's no unofficial unlock for iPhone 4S running anything later than iOS4 to the best of my knowledge.

As for unlocking, why not check and see if your carrier will do this for you? My understanding is that they can't refuse you if you're off-contract, and that would accomplish your only actual stated goal, so give that a chance first.

OP
R
Reaction score
Cheers chas, thanks for the advice. Found the essay very informative too.

Regards
Raff

Reaction score
Np, I really don't recommend jailbreaking your phone cause there are some issues if you install too many tweaks it could get slow and lagg. Also your phone could crash sometimes if your not careful. It is best to just use it as it is and maybe wait for a untethered jailbreak to get released. If you semi-tethered the iphone then everytime it reboots you have to plug it into the computer and put it into dfu mode and use redsn0w to boot it up. It can be a pain sometimes if your iphone goes dead and you are not near your computer. You wont be able to use your jailbreak stuff. You will only be able to use the basic functions like phone, text, etc. Just no cydia, safari. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13'' (3 GHZ i7, 8GB)
if you are new to jailbreak, do not do tethered jailbreak.

but I do recommend unthether jailbreak for some reasons. there are some great tweaks that make your iphone even better like auxo

Reaction score
Yeah and you can theme your iphone with winterboard make it look unique and add custom sounds. Even change the fonts with bytafont.

C

chas_m

There are a few modestly interesting reasons to jailbreak, I've seen a few interesting unofficial apps. However, I've noticed that on those occasions when I JB'd my old iPhone, it ran SLOWER and was a LOT more crashy than it had been before (unsurprising really, given that you're hacking the OS).

In the end, most of the tweaks or apps of interest weren't worth the hassle. Just got my iPhone 4 unlocked by the carrier today, in fact (they changed their rules from "end of contract" to "90 days in good standing") and it cost me $50 but now I have a carrier-unlocked iPhone I can sell (which believe me added more than $50 to the resale value).

OP
R
Reaction score
Great replies guys, thank you. I'm not gonna bother jailbreaking but I've spoked to my carrier and they charge £15 which is reasonable. I was just interested how to unlock it myself just cos I like messing with stuff :)

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13'' (3 GHZ i7, 8GB)
regarding to unlock your iPhone, not it is a bit harder because ultraslow (unlocking method) does not support newer baseband and iphones. but for older devices like 3G and 3GS is easier to do.. but unlocking through carrier is the best and easiest way

C

chas_m

Yes, I had to JB my original iPhone in order to unlock it myself because at the time AT&T simply wouldn't do it under any circumstances, and I was moving to Canada (which didn't even have the iPhone at the time). As Serwan says, unlocking from the carrier is the only way to do it if you're running an up-to-date (iOS 5 or higher I believe) iPhone.

Glad to hear your carrier will do it for you at a reasonable price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.