Audiobooks from CD

von

Reaction score
Thanks in advance. I'm new to iTunes but when I download and audiobook, all the chapters go in my music directory as opposed to audiobooks. How can I change this?

Thanks again
von

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You download an audiobook from where?
And add it to iTunes how?

edit:
And I am "assuming" this downloaded book is a mp3 file?

OP
V

von

Reaction score
Audiobook

I purchased an audiobook on CD. I placed the CD in my computer CD drive and copied it into iTunes. It copied the various chapters into my music directory but I would like the files to go into the Audiobook directory in iTunes

Thankvon

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try the following and I think this should cure things. I am not sure the last step is necessary but it works for me.

1. With iTunes open select the audiobook files and select Get Info from the iTunes File menu (Command I). When told you are selecting multiple items choose OK.
2. Go to the Info tab of the next window and set Genre to Audiobook,
3. In the Option tab set the Media Kind field to Audiobook.

I am not sure it is necessary to set both fields to Audiobook but it seems to work more reliably for me if I do that. It does not seem to stick till I make the last change.

OP
V

von

Reaction score
Thanks. Actually the Genre was already set to Spoken & Audio. When I set genre to Audiobook under the Option tab--that did the trick. Thanks very much

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iTunes has no way of knowing in that case whether the tracks are music or a book - you have to tell it.

Depending on what version of iTunes you are using, highlight all the tracks and right click, select Get Info, go to the Options tab, change the Media Kind to Book/Audiobook.

The newer versions of iTunes will then move it to Books rather than Music.
The older versions will not.

With the older versions there was a work around which I posted somewhere here years ago, but I would recommend AudioBook Builder instead and it was $15 when I bought it instead of the $5 currently) and still recommend it for anyone that is ripping their own CDs.

The only tool of it's kind that I'm aware of and the one I used when I was still buying CDs. You can put multiple CDs into a single file with chapter markers. Just do not create single files longer than about 7 hours - you don't want to go over 8 hours, creates problems - so that 20 hr book on 30 CDs can end up being only 3 files. They have a free test drive too.

edit: Re-titled the thread also, since it's not about downloaded books, but about ripped books.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased an audiobook on CD. I placed the CD in my computer CD drive and copied it into iTunes. It copied the various chapters into my music directory but I would like the files to go into the Audiobook directory in iTunes

Thankvon

Your welcome. Glad that has worked. In recent versions of iTunes you can actually set the Genre to Audiobooks. Might come in handy if you want to separate your audiobooks from other forms of spoken word.

C

chas_m

One other tip I'll contribute: for people who have both music and audio books that they'd like to keep in iTunes, consider the option of setting up two entirely separate iTunes libraries. You can have multiple iTunes libraries and switch between them by opening iTunes with the option key held down.

I used this to keep my recorded radio programs entirely separate from my "music" collection.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent suggestion. I think I will use something similar when I set up our next media machine. My wife does not want to set up her library based up what's on the media server because I keep adding new stuff. Some of which she doesn't like.

I am thinking about having her library be the default so she does not have to deal with loading the wrong library. On my Mac I should be able to create an Automator workflow to load my library on launch without me having to remember to hold down the option key.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Excellent idea chas. We have tons of mp3 voice recordings (home made) in iTunes along with music. The idea of separating them into libraries is a good one which I never thought about doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.