Upgrade to Mountain Lion-battery life?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have lost the (Snow Leopard) install disks for my 2010 macbookpro and need to reinstall. I am debating between ordering the Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion disks. It would be nice to upgrade as long as I am reinstalling, but have heard that Mountain Lion absolutely kills battery life and in some cases of repeated upgrade/downgrades permanently wrecks the battery. I have no complaints with Snow Leopard but would be excited to try the upgrade if I could be sure it wouldn't drastically drop my battery life.

What are your experiences with this? What would you recommend?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, Mountain Lion is not available on disk. It must be downloaded from the Mac App store. You can make a bootable flash drive before installing by using the Lion Disk Maker software. The latest update to Mountain Lion (10.8.3) has resolved the battery problem.

C

chas_m

No version of OS X has ever "permanently killed" a battery or battery life. There have been some semi-noticeable drops in battery life in some versions, but wherever you're getting your Mac info from, I would consider it the Fox "News" of computer information.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"Fox News" as in the only truthful news agency? ;) And by the way, the 10.8.3 update did in fact resolve the poor battery performance of some Mac portable machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.