• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

So disappointed with AT&T

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sprint's minimum plan for 2 smartphones is $30/mth more than my current unlimited plan with AT&T or either AT&T or Verizon's current plans. It is umlimited data while tethering is a separate add-on with their plan while it's included in the other two.

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow ...... Just when I had resigned myself to the fact that I would either have to give up on the idea of using FaceTime over cellular or give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan, AT&T decided to change their policy. My brother sent me an e-mail on Monday, May 20th about AT&T extending FaceTime over cellular to ALL its customers including those with a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Those with the unlimited data plan would be able to access FaceTIme over cellular by the end of June. Well yesterday (May 21st), on a whim, I decided to access FaceTime over cellular and it WORKED!!!!

Reaction score
I doubt they are going to do anything for me .... but I suppose I can give it a try. But switching to Verizon the next time I update my iPhone is starting to look better and better. It

Before switching, try to find out the average LTE speeds of the different carriers in your area. You can install an app on your iPhone called "Speedtest", and so can your friends who have other carriers (and there's probably an Android version, too). Some carriers are faster than others.

Also, at least in my area (San Fernando Valley, just north of Los Angeles, CA), in spots where LTE isn't available, AT&T's HSPA+ network kicks in, which provides "LTE-like" speeds in many cases, and this HSPA+ is better than the other carriers in my area. This hasn't been much of an issue since about February here, since AT&T has greatly expanded LTE coverage since then, but it may be an issue where you live.

OP
M
Reaction score
AT&T came through, I am now able to do FaceTime over cellular even with my grandfathered in unlimited data plan. Yay!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
AT&T came through, I am now able to do FaceTime over cellular even with my grandfathered in unlimited data plan. Yay!

Maybe we need to change the title of this thread to..."No longer disappointed with AT&T!";)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Bobtomay, my good old 3GS also keeps on working and working great. The camera sure is not a 4s or 5's but it's useable and better than my old 3g was!

OP
M
Reaction score
Maybe we need to change the title of this thread to..."No longer disappointed with AT&T!";)

- Nick

LOL! :D How true! I don't plan on using the FaceTime over Cellular all that much because most places where I go have Wi-Fi. But there are obviously some that don't. For example I do not have W-Fi in my office.:(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

- Nick

Not until they allow us to tether with our unlimited plans.
They let you tether with a 2GB plan, but not an unlimited plan.
Reckon that makes sense to them, but not to me.

Reaction score
Not until they allow us to tether with our unlimited plans.
They let you tether with a 2GB plan, but not an unlimited plan.
Reckon that makes sense to them, but not to me.

I never had an unlimited data plan (only been an AT&T customer since August 2010), but the 2GB tethering plan is very nice! My monthly price for it is grand-fathered to $20/month, but if I ever turn it off and then back on again, it goes up to $25. I see no reason to do that, since I use tethering with my iPad Mini (wifi) on a regular basis, and occasionally with my MacBook Pro (Starbucks' free wifi can be excruciatingly slow sometimes). Only once have I gone over the 4GB total limit, and it was an extra $10 for that portion of an extra GB.

I have 450 minutes/month (I hardly ever use my iPhone as an actual "phone" - current rollover total is 3,920 minutes), 200 texts/month (I use maybe 40), 2GB data, and 2GB tethering, all for about $97 a month. I think that's a pretty decent price.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After studying the plans on AT&T's website yesterday and thinking I might be able to reduce my bill with their new plans, went and visited the AT&T store and considering it may be time to upgrade both of our 3GSs.

OK, I admit it, I was wrong.

On the new plan, I would give up unlimited data on each of 2 phones to get 4GB to share between them.
For that privilege, I would pay an additional $240 a year (and we won't even talk about the additional multitude of taxes on that).
I would get unlimited texting, for which I currently pay $20-$30 per year paying per each individual text that comes in and out.
And mobile hotspot... I think the number of times I wished I could tether my computer, iPad, etc. while traveling and no wifi in our hotel/b&b/etc over the last half dozen years has been, uhm, I dunno, maybe once or twice.
So, I think not.

Fry's currently has AT&T iPhones advertised at $75 less than AT&T's price - $124 instead of $199, etc.
Asked if I bought 2 of them there instead of driving over to Fry's, would they match Fry's price for their own phones.
Was told they only match - get this - at&t dot com prices.
At this point I could only start laughing while the customers around me turned to look.

Had to ask to make sure:

"I am in an AT&T store right? And, what you're telling me is that you will match AT&T prices? So, the real answer is "No, we do not match prices."?"

Needless to say, the response to that question had the bystanders laughing now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"I am in an AT&T store right? And, what you're telling me is that you will match AT&T prices? So, the real answer is "No, we do not match prices."?"

Who said Ma Bell was dead? Like the Phoenix, it has risen from the ashes! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Upgrading my AT&T DSL service tomorrow to U-verse internet. I haven't had trouble with AT&T, but my modem was acting up and they are phasing out DSL service anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.